cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ace_M
Contributor II
Message 1 of 12

How to exclude folders from real time scan?

Jump to solution

As the title says, how can I manage to exclude an entire folder from real time scanning?

I am having issues when compiling in visual studio (MICROSOFT PROGRAM!! Unbelievable!!). How come I have to disable my antivirus real time scanner program to be able to WORK!!?

I looked for an answer on other forums and what you say is unbelievable. We paid for this, we should get a solution ASAP.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 12

Re: How to exclude folders from real time scan?

Jump to solution

This was why Mcafee excluded whole folders from the exclusion list.

"Too risky to exclude an entire folder. Malware can spot an excluded folder and dump its contents in there. "

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

As you say you cannot. It has been asked for many times but so far the current version does not allow such. 

You can exclude files from real time scanning but the files will still I gather be detected in scheduled scans etc.

See if the mods can add more.

Ace_M
Contributor II
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot exclude the files every time because compilers generate executables and other files each time.

How can I get a solution for this? 

Are you telling me to disable the product I paid for(3 Years) to be able to work? 

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

From what I gather the corporate product has this option. This as far as I know but not a corporate user. 

The consumer product is as I said file exclusion only. I will reask the owner of the program but do not hold out hope.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

This was why Mcafee excluded whole folders from the exclusion list.

"Too risky to exclude an entire folder. Malware can spot an excluded folder and dump its contents in there. "

Ace_M
Contributor II
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

It only takes a warning to the user and that's it, we can take responsibility for anything that happens within that folder, not having this option is inconvenient for people using Visual Studio.... lol, unbelievable.

Whatever I will just throw the garbage antivirus where it belongs, to the garbage.

Thank you for your time I appreciate it.

davyar
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

This is great. I am uninstalling McAfee due to this limitation. As a developer I cannot continue to use a virus scanner that does not allow me to exclude my build directories from real time scanning. Ciao!

mdebiec
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

So is it better to turn off real-time scanning? Realtime scanning with development directories makes that Node.js scripts run 10 times slower.

MightyPants
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

McAfee... this is pretty ridiculous. I too have a serious problem with how you allow users to exclude. 

The standard user isn't typically going to jump through the hoops of excluding files from scanning. For us power users this is a HUGE deal. As others have said, this makes using McAfee as my antivirus completely trivial/pointless. You essentially are saying to us power users that the only solution is to give up ALL security and turn off antivirus entirely.

Come on... 

When a user tries to exclude a folder rather than a single file Just put up a huge warning that says that excluding a folder is risky behavior and only recommended for power users who know what they are doing/who accept the risk.

Please do the right thing and give us a CHOICE. 

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

I have during my 15 years here as a volunteer mod prior to 2018 I  tried to get this kept as a feature. I think enterprise has it but the powers that be worry that if a whole folder is excluded hackers could hide malware there.

I see the point but feel it could be added for power users even if one had to jump through many hoops to discourage standard users to exclude folder willy nilly.

Just my thoughts

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community