cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 21 of 30

Re: How to disable/turn off/get rid of popup: "Your computer is at risk"

Jump to solution

Possible there is a feature in new 2012 beta that can stop the RTS issue. It can stop RTS and IM informational alerts. Unsure what exaxtly it will stop but a possibility

drsometimes
Former Member
Message 22 of 30

Jump to solution

In my view, this message is a form of fraud. I had to fix it last year and because it kept recurring, I wound up re-subscribing until I had a three-year subscription (I assumed that the subscription wasn't registering). I needed tech support to fix it. It is a frightening and threatening message that puts the customer at an extreme disadvantage.

It recurred last night and I added another year! Once I figured out that the message is erroneous, I got in touch with Customer Service and got a refund. The rep reconnected me with Tech Support and they deleted the subscription db files and ran the Subscription Repair program.

If it recurs again, I will contact the Consumer Protection Division of the Massachusetts Attorney General's office. Anyone else interested in a class action suit? I have already wasted half a day on this bogosity.

badsoftwareshou
Former Member
Message 23 of 30

Jump to solution

I have a magna cum laude degree from harvard and i am pretty computer savvy.   the mcafee software that i have bought is faulty and defective and encourages popups.   this has slowed down my computer and ruined two days of work for me.  i will never use mcafee again.  i think that ex brit who responds to these emails is a full time mcafee employee trying to continue the ripoff.   if mcafee were the last anti-virus software in the world i would become a luddite.   mcafee is an embarrassment and someone should take this company to court.  i hope a class-action suit occurs because it would get people a lot of money.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 30

Jump to solution

I am long-retired unpaid volunteer here, so you are wrong on that account.   All the Moderators here are the same.

I haven't seen any popups here in at least a year except when a reboot is being asked for to complete a major upgrade.

Popups occur more often for those using packages supplied by 3rd parties, ISP's, PC makers and suchlike because those 3rd parties want it that way.

They also occur more frequently for those using the lower level software packages to encourage upgrading I would imagine.

McAfee's marketing department has resisted any pleas from us regarding that, and it can be annoying, I agree.

We have tried to convince them that it's not a good idea, but I guess your magna cum laude degree doesn't allow you to see things from our point of view.

In my long experience with computers I find it difficult to single out McAfee regarding this issue as most software has popups at some stage or another.

I suggest you try other software if you feel that strongly.  If you only recently bought it then ask for your money back through Customer Service.

mike66
Former Member
Message 25 of 30

Jump to solution

Well,I have given up,and am now using Avast! free antivirus. Even though my ISP remotely connected to my PC and spent at least an hour trying various fixes,in the end,the problem of the pop-ups was unresolved. I am past the stage of caring whose fault it is,and am happy with Avast! My computer seems to be faster as well.At least my experience with Mcafee didn't cost me anything.Oh,by the way,I have recently noticed the pop-up issue on my Toshiba laptop-until recently,Mcafee was working normally on the laptop.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 30

Jump to solution

I've used Avast myself on my Netbook which was too slow toi cope with a full suite.   It has its share of popups too but not too many if I recall.

Regarding your Toshiba laptop I can only say sorry and wish we could convince the developers to change their tune, unfortunately we can't.

All the best.

dalmata
Former Member
Message 27 of 30

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem. My new laptop came with McAfee antivirus and it keeps constantly bullying me into installing updates over and over again, so I've decided to uninstall it. A program should not take such decisions over me. Who owns this laptop is myself and I decide whether to take a risk or not. A computer program should not try to force a user with administrator privileges into doing something that the administrator had decided not to do at this moment.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 30

Jump to solution

Without seemingly attempting to be controversial...Especially since this thread is so (Old). For the very sake of me and "Common Sense" Why would one (Not) want to be notified that they are (At Risk)  due to no Anti-Virus/Security

Application being activated and (on)?

Is this not the very reason we have a Security Solution in place from the "Get Go"?

With all due respect, be it McAfee or another of one,s choice. Especially in todays computing environment, you need to be protected (Constantly) by a active RTS.

Just my Humble, Honest Opinion...

All the best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dalmata
Former Member
Message 29 of 30

Jump to solution

It would make sense if the program notifies me once. Notifying me exactly the same thing over and over again, every 10 minutes or so, it's not reasonable nor common sense, but it's just a form of bullying. Again, if I log on as administrator, a program will not tell me what to do, when to update neither forcing me into not taking any risks. I should be able to set up the software to stop doing that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 30

Jump to solution

dalmata wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. My new laptop came with McAfee antivirus and it keeps constantly bullying me into installing updates over and over again, so I've decided to uninstall it. A program should not take such decisions over me. Who owns this laptop is myself and I decide whether to take a risk or not. A computer program should not try to force a user with administrator privileges into doing something that the administrator had decided not to do at this moment.

I would hardly call trying to keep you protected bullying as in this day and age it is vital your security software is kept up to date.   However you can alter the settings to update silently as per the picture attached (click to enlarge)

Only occasionally will it ask you to reboot when there has been a major software update, rather than the daily antivirus definitions update.  Open the software and click Updates on the main page then options.

If you go for over a day without updating the software will start alerting that it is out of date, that cannot be avoided.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community