Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 30

Re: How to disable/turn off/get rid of popup: "Your computer is at risk"

Jump to solution

I think the customers are complaining about McAfee popups in this case, but thanks for posting.

mike66
Former Member
Message 12 of 30

Jump to solution

I have Win7 and my ISP,which provides free AV software,recently dumped F-Secure for Mcafee.I have auto updates set for Windows critical updates,and my Mcafee is also up to date.As soon as Mcafee was installed,I started to get those pesky pop-ups saying "your computer is at risk,real time scanning is off" at random intervals.My ISP had one of their techs connect to my PC remotely,and worked on the problem for a good hour.At the end,after he disconnected,the pop-up appeared again.It was just before Xmas,and I didn't have the heart to tell him.I am not sure if this has been pointed out before,but I discovered that the pop-up is a false positive.I found this out by opening the Security Center when I got the pop-up,and found that real time scanning was in fact on,and all was normal security-wise.

Message was edited by: mike66 on 1/27/12 7:29:48 PM CST

Message was edited by: mike66 on 1/27/12 7:30:30 PM CST

Message was edited by: mike66 on 1/27/12 7:31:40 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 30

Jump to solution

It's a mystery sometimes why these things happen.   Did you run F-Secure's removal tool before installing McAfee?

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it cures anything.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Note: a fresh copy should be installed every time you use it as it's updated frequently.  Uninstall the old one from your Programme list in Control Panel.

If that fails try a complete uninstall. cleanup using MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page, reboot and reinstall.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/01/12 9:00:19 EST PM
mike66
Former Member
Message 14 of 30

Jump to solution

Thanks,but my ISP gave me all those tools to try when the problem started,including the F-Secure removal tool.When the tech from my ISP hooked up to my PC,he did a thorough job,which included unistalling/reistalling Mcafee.Some of the things he did I didn't understand,as I am not a techie type myself.I will try running a fresh copy of Virtual Technican on the off chance the latest version helps.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 30

Jump to solution

Good luck.  If all else fails Technical Support is free to contact by phone or online chat, via the link in Useful Links at the top of this page.  Tell them you already contacted once and went through the usual steps and ask them to escalate it if necessary.

oshestak
Former Member
Message 16 of 30

Jump to solution

Dear Ex_Brit! I was reading your posts on this forum. On every page you are trying to convince people that by disabling real time protection, the computer is at risk.

It is 100% MacAfee advertisement statement. If you use firewall, right browser and email program, if you do not open files you do not need to open, what is the risk? I think it is a policy of the MacAfee to get more customers and get more money. DISABLING REALTIME PROTECTION DOES NOT PUT YOUR COMPUTER AT RISK!

Wrongful actions of operator do put computer at risk!

Having said that, I am just shocked that I cannot disable a Real-Time and then do not see those annoying messages!

I am a subscription/ paid customer, and I deserve the right treatment! I really do not want to be reminded of something I already know!!!

Now, I have to disable RealTime protection because it is just using too much resources! Check other products on the market! Much better, using much less resources, much less memory!

When I do heavy calculations in my office, I am behind number of HARDWARE and SOFTWARE firewalls, and I do not really need to be told that I am at risk because I am not! During several years I run McCafee it found... 0! viruses or threats!

So I think it will be beneficial for everybody if we will start telling the truth, that the messages are the marketing way for the company to get extra subscribers...

Message was edited by: oshestak on 3/23/12 12:28:00 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 30

Jump to solution

It is dangerous not all or rather not many users are behind tight hardware firewalls and a lot are not privy on what files not to open. Real time protection scans everything that is copied or opened and does protect you against known issues.

We have 1 experienced user running RTS off as it clashes with a program he uses. He scans his PC regularly and is every experienced but all Mcafee users are not so knowledgable. No we are not advertising for Mcafee RTS should be on .

In 20 years I haven't got a virus past my protection but then I use safe hex.

How can it  (We saying so) get Mcafee more moneyhaven't  they already installed Mcafee?

RTS on My PC (mcshield.exe) is not a high usage program. (I suppose  the amount of ram and virtual memory also is a limiting factor)

You can add this suggestion as an idea. see my sigs. I do think it is already there as an idea. We mods suggested it many times so experienced users can disable it without the popups but I assume Mcafee is not happy with the thought of the normal user disabling the warning.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/03/12 7:47:02 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 30

Jump to solution

oshestak wrote:

Dear Ex_Brit! I was reading your posts on this forum. On every page you are trying to convince people that by disabling real time protection, the computer is at risk.

It is 100% MacAfee advertisement statement. If you use firewall, right browser and email program, if you do not open files you do not need to open, what is the risk? I think it is a policy of the MacAfee to get more customers and get more money. DISABLING REALTIME PROTECTION DOES NOT PUT YOUR COMPUTER AT RISK!

Wrongful actions of operator do put computer at risk!

Having said that, I am just shocked that I cannot disable a Real-Time and then do not see those annoying messages!

I am a subscription/ paid customer, and I deserve the right treatment! I really do not want to be reminded of something I already know!!!

Now, I have to disable RealTime protection because it is just using too much resources! Check other products on the market! Much better, using much less resources, much less memory!

When I do heavy calculations in my office, I am behind number of HARDWARE and SOFTWARE firewalls, and I do not really need to be told that I am at risk because I am not! During several years I run McCafee it found... 0! viruses or threats!

So I think it will be beneficial for everybody if we will start telling the truth, that the messages are the marketing way for the company to get extra subscribers...

Message was edited by: oshestak on 3/23/12 12:28:00 AM CDT

That's because it's true, they are at risk if real-time protection is turned off, but nothing is written in stone, if you want to turn it off then do so but don't complain of a problem occurs.   It shouldn't be using resources, it doesn't on any of my 7 operating systems ranging from XP to Windows 8.   There has to be something else reacting with it to cause resource drain.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/03/12 7:53:26 EDT AM
buddy3000
Former Member
Message 19 of 30

Jump to solution

Well that might be all well and good for you, but I use a company VPN and it causes mcafee to use a tremendous amount of resources bringing my PC to it's knees. I am no doubt looking for an alternative to mcafee. It's abloslutly rediculous that you can't turn of a FEATURE without being nagged to death about turning it back on. Some of us DO know what we are doing. If I could grab mcafee by it's hair and yank it out of my system I would, then slam it against the wall to make sure it was dead (expressing my level of aggrivation with this)

mike66
Former Member
Message 20 of 30

Jump to solution

The good news for me is the pop-up hasn't occurred for quite some time now,and in the interim I have had at least one Mcafee software update,so maybe they got tired of their techies being tied up with RTS antics,and fixed it.One extra level of protection I use while on the internet is Sandboxie,a free sandboxing program which doesn't allow anything to write to your hard drive.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community