cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luduina
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

How do I adjust the System Guards within Virusscan Plus?

Dear forum helpers,

Please excuse me for my bad English. I've recently installed VirusScan Plus 2009 (my first time that I use McAfee) without any problems. When I look at the three types of System Guards the default setting for 'System Guards for Programs' is: 'abled/on' and the four 'items' have all the adjustment: 'Changes set down only in the log-file/book'. For: 'System Guards for Browsers' is the setting also 'abled/on' and for the eleven 'items' are the adjusments sometimes also 'Changes set down in the logfile/book', some of them are 'disabled' and some are 'With warning and also set down in the logfile/book'.

However for: 'System Guards for Windows' is the setting complete: 'Disabled'. Is it wise to set this 'System Guards for Windows' on 'abled/on'? So 'yes', which items must I set on 'abled/on' and which on:'Changes set down only in the logfile/book' and which on" Wth warning and set down in the logfile/book', because there's a lot of items (eleven) which I can adjust. And for any item can I choose for the three choices. I hope that my question is clear and that you can give me so exactly as possible the most required settings for this 'System Guards for Windows'.

Also, when the default settings for the other two System Guards aren't the best, then please give me the best settings for them too. Thank you very much for your help,

Luduina
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

RE: How do I adjust the System Guards within Virusscan Plus?

Unless you want endless pop-up warnings I suggest that you leave Systemguards at their default settings.
Luduina
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Dear Ex_Brit,

Thank you very much for the quick answer. Later I saw, that the Windows System Guards also had the default settings and wasn't not complete disabled. That was only the first item of the eleven 'items' and I haven't seen, that you can switch to the next 'item'. I left the Guards now on the default settings and change nothing, because I'm not a user with great experience, but I want for my laptop the security as good as possible, that's why I ask this question. My internetprovider recommend McAfee as a good product voor security, so I buy McAfee within my provider-package. I'll trust that all is now safe enough and I'm a wise user of the internet, not many downloads, no game-player etc. and if I download than only from 'safe sites' (I also use now 'the McAfeeSiteAdvisor', had never infections or any virus and I hope that my computer remain virusfree.

Thanks and greetings,

Luduina

l
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Luduina,

It sounds like you have everything exactly as it should be.

There is only one area you may wish to change, but it is entirely your decision and will cause some pop-ups when an application wants internet access.

In Security Center/Advanced Menu/Configure/Internet & Network - the Firewall. Click the Advanced button at the right.

The default setting is Automatic as in fw1 below. I change mine to Standard as in fw2 below which was the default setting in previous versions.

It's up to you and I repeat that you will get more pop-ups, but I prefer it that way.

I also enable protection during Windows startup as in fw2.
Luduina
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Dear Ex_Brit,

Thanks again. I've changed the two settings like you've described. Your explanation was very clear.

Greetings,
Luduina
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

If you don't like it you can always change it back again.
Luduina
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Dear Ex_Brit,

Yes, ik know, but I give it 'a try'. Once again: thanks and I'm happy that I've discovered this forum. It is always nice to have a 'place' where I can ask questions about my computer, software or other problems with my 'system' and now I've found a good forum for McAfee. I'm not a complete amateurish user but certainly not an expert, so possibly till a next time.

Greetings,
Luduina
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Remember that we all started somewhere and learned as we went along.:)
Moving this to the "Solved Issues" area.

Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community