cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrwoffle
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

How could I limit McAfee's CPU usage during scans?

Jump to solution

Hello

My CPU is an AMD FX(tm)-9370 Eight-Core processor, and usually can handle a lot, but I run into issues when I try to run a MCafee scan.  It is not that it can't handle it, the CPU will run at 100% and the scan is relatively quick(especially since it has three different harddrives to scan, plus over a TB of data).  My only issue is that I can only run my CPU at 100% for so long before it starts to overheat.  Usually after 20 minutes of running that scan my computer is at around 70C, which is what I have set it to warn me so of course I cancel the scan.

I realize that if you put a cap on the CPU usage that the scan would go slower, but I haven't been able to scan for quite a while out of fear of overheating, and I don't have the patience to sit here and click pause every few minutes to let it cool back down.  Is there anything that I can do to limit the CPU usage?

I am not playing games or streaming movies or doing anything during these scans, the only thing running is the MCafee scan, and I've played some intense games and overheating is never a problem, during idle I sit around anywhere between 8C and 25C and during games I am usually between 40C - 55C

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Re: How could I limit McAfee's CPU usage during scans?

Jump to solution

When you run a scan are you using Custom settings?  If so is the item "Use minimal resources..." checked?

Also, further up that same page is an option to ignore zip and other compressed files.  If all your backups for instance are older then maybe you could try toggling that?

Another thing to look at is email.  Some people keep large quantities of emails in their inboxes instead of creating sub-folders to store them in, that can add to the load but of course depends a lot on what client you use for mail.

With the resources you appear to have it shouldn't be overheating.  I have CPU water-cooling and find the temps hardly rise at all during a scan, but of course every setup is different.

There is software out there that can artificially restrict CPU usage when a certain temp is reached, TThrottle comes to mind as one example.

So I wonder if it may be worth your while having Technical Support take a look?

It's free by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

View solution in original post

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

When you run a scan are you using Custom settings?  If so is the item "Use minimal resources..." checked?

Also, further up that same page is an option to ignore zip and other compressed files.  If all your backups for instance are older then maybe you could try toggling that?

Another thing to look at is email.  Some people keep large quantities of emails in their inboxes instead of creating sub-folders to store them in, that can add to the load but of course depends a lot on what client you use for mail.

With the resources you appear to have it shouldn't be overheating.  I have CPU water-cooling and find the temps hardly rise at all during a scan, but of course every setup is different.

There is software out there that can artificially restrict CPU usage when a certain temp is reached, TThrottle comes to mind as one example.

So I wonder if it may be worth your while having Technical Support take a look?

It's free by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Note also  whether during say a malwarebytes scan in the link Peter suggested above, if the cpu temp sits at the same temp.

mrwoffle
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

That seems to help, Thanks!  It goes a lot slower but it stays around 50C Appreciate it

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

Good.  Also I find it helps to clean out as much dust as possible on a regular basis - especially from any vents, fan blades etc.   It's a fiddly job but does make a difference.

mrwoffle
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Just something to throw out there, and kinda a question, I have a Solid State and a regular hard drive in there, I noticed once it switched drives the temperature goes way down, could it be possible because the read/write speed on the Solid State is so much faster it allows the CPU to work faster, thus heating up more?  I was just wondering, I know this kinda finished a long time ago xD

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

Quite possible but only the techs  would know for sure.

mrshvd3
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Hello -- Going back to the start of this thread:

You posted (I think it was you), "When you run a scan are you using Custom settings?  If so is the item "Use minimal resources..." checked?"

But you don't say if it should be left checkmarked or unchecked to try and reduce CPU usage.

Info, please? And thank you!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Checked.

Gene
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

A more general answer for any program that insists on hogging the CPU -- You can use the affinity setting to restrict a particular app to specific CPUs. For instance, you could restrict it to only 1 or 2 cpus on a quad processor.

The selection is made in the "details" tab of the task manager. Right click on the app and select set affinity.

The affinity setting can also be set using a shortcut.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community