cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
levi
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

How To Use Maynardp's "Task To Wake Up Computer From Sleep Mode & Run Anti-Virus Scan"

I found the command line scanner in "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcodsscan.exe". However, I don't think I know how to access it to make changes. When I double click on the file "mcodsscan.exe", the command screen appears momentarily and then vanishes.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: How To Use Maynardp's "Task To Wake Up Computer From Sleep Mode & Run Anti-Virus Scan"

Why don't you ask him?   Click the "Send Private Message" on his profile:  https://community.mcafee.com/people/maynardp

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 6

Re: How To Use Maynardp's "Task To Wake Up Computer From Sleep Mode & Run Anti-Virus Scan"

Hi levi,

Here you go

I found a way to run a scan on a sleeping PC.

this will both wake up the PC and complete the scan without Windows putting the scan to sleep.

This is done on Windows 8.1 with McAfee Anti-Virus 16.8 (I'll be trying this on my windows 7 PC later and will report back)

McAfee 16.8 includes a command line scanner that can be launched from the Windows Task Scheduler - this allows you so set up a scheduled task and have it wake up the PC and because it was scheduled by windows, it will complete BEFORE the system is allowed to sleep again.

For those who have never setup a task before, it is really quite easy, but there are a lot of options and settings - so it looks complex.

Below I've detailed (in text, because I'm too lazy to do screen shots) all the info I used to set this up.

Perhaps someone else would like to do a full tutorial with pictures...

The command line scanner should be in "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcodsscan.exe"

- if not, you'll need to search for "mcodscan.exe"

- if it doesn't exist, you're SOL.

The available command line options for this program are:

-- Scan Options (Required) --

--fullscan, -f, -full                           Perform a full scan

--quickscan, -q, -quick                  Perform a quick scan

--customscan, -c, -custom            Perform a custom scan

--filescan, -fd <value>... <value>    Scan specified files

-- Custom Scan Options  --

-where <[Drive]:\ | all | critical | desktop | my_docs | prog_files>   

Specify one or more areas to scan during custom scan. When all is specified all other options are ignored.

-threats <all | spyware | stealth | unknown_viruses>

Specify the types of threats to scan during custom scan. When all is specified all other options are ignored.

-types <all | nozip | programs_docs>

Restrict the types of files scanned during custom scan.

-exclude <value>... <value>

Exclude files and folders from a custom scan.

-noexclude

Reset any files and folders that are excluded from custom scan.

-- Action Options  --

-pupaction <remove | trust>                     Take the specified action on potentially unwanted programs

-- Output Options  --

-log <value>                                           Specify the file to output scan results to

-- Help Options  --

-h                                                          Display this usage

-?                                                          Display this usage

With this information, it is now possible to create your own custom scheduled task and get McAfee working the way you want it to.

Launch Windows Task Scheduler

- in windows 8, this can be done by searching for 'schedule' in the application search or from Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools

- if you use control panel, a window listing of all the Admin tools will be displayed, one of which is Task Scheduler

Once Task Scheduler has started, follow these steps

Create a new task (not a basic task) Action -> Create Task...

- this will open a Create Task dialog box

Fill out the task details (on each Tab) as follows:

General Tab:

Name: <give your task some name you'll recognise - I used "Scan for Viruses">

Author: <this should be your computer and userid - it can't be changed>

Description: if you want, provide a more detailed description of what this task does

Security options:

When running the task, use the following user account:  <leave this as your user or change it - up to you>

Run only when user is logged on (uncheck this one)

Run whether user is logged in or not  (check this one)

Do not store the password: (check this one)

Run with highest privileges (if checked, task should finish sooner)

Hidden: (not sure what this does, so I left it unchecked)

Configure for: <select your version of windows - I used "Windows 8.1">

Triggers Tab:

click the "New..." button at the bottom of the tab

this will open a New Trigger dialog box

Begin Task: <On a schedule> (this will allow you to schedule a task to run at specific dates and times)

- fill in the setting details as fits your needs to schedule a virus scan when you want it to run

Synchronize across timezone shouldn't be needed unless you are setting up a laptop and you travel a lot

Advanced Settings:

you shouldn't need to set these if you are setting up a scan to run when you are away from your PC

Enabled: (check this)

Click OK to save this trigger

You should now see a Trigger in the Triggers Tab

Actions Tab:

click the "New..." button at the bottom of the tab

this will open a New Action dialog box

Action: <"Start a Program"> (this will allow you to select a program to run)

Settings:

Program/script:

use the browse button and then find "mcodsscan.exe"

on windows 8.1, it is in "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcodsscan.exe"

Add arguments:

for me, I'm running a full scan and saving the results to a log file so these are the arguments I used:

--fullscan -log C:\Users\<my user name>\Documents\virusScanLog.txt

this runs a full scan of all disks and appends the results of each scan to the "virusScanLog.txt" file

this allows me to see the results by opening the file

I'm sure there are better methods to get the reports, but this works fine for me

Start in: <leave blank if doing a full scan>

Click OK to save this trigger

You should now see an Action in the Actions Tab

Conditons Tab:

Start the task only if the computer is idle for: (unchecked)

- the whole point of what we are doing is to run a task when its sleeping - so we know its idle

Start the task only if the computer is on AC power (recommend you check this one)

Stop if the computer switched to batter power (recommended for notebooks)

Wake the computer to run this task (definitely check this one)

Start only if the following network connection is available: (if doing a local disk scan - this isn't needed)

Settings Tab:

personally, I unchecked all of these and then set the last setting "if the task is already running..." to:

<Do not start a new instance>

this will prevent multiple scans from starting if something goes haywire

Now click the "Ok" button to save the task

I also personally enabled task history - so that I could see if there were issues getting the task to run.

This is available from the menu Actions -> Enable All Tasks History

- you might need to select "Task Scheduler (Local)" in the left pane if that option is not visible to you.

And that's it.

Oh and you should probably disable scheduled task in McAfee Security Center - but I'm not going to describe how to do  that here - McAfee should have instructions if you need them.

My computer is set to sleep after 15 minutes of idle time.

This task woke up my sleeping computer; ran the virus scan (which took 59 minutes); and then allowed the computer to go back to sleep about 15 minutes after the scan completed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

As the OP hasn't indicated what OS this is I'm wondering if this problem has something to do with elevated Command Prompts in Vista/7 or 8/8.1, or perhaps something to do with Access Protection maybe?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/01/14 5:14:21 EST PM
levi
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

My OS is Windows 7.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 6

Hi Levi,

Click here for instructions on how to create a Task on Win 7 using Windows Task Scheduler. In the Commandline you choose the executable for McAfee's On demand Scan.

For Example if you wish to run a Quick Scan you need to choose the below Command.

C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcodsscan.exe -q

The different tabs in your newly created Schedule is already been explained in maynardp's post . Refer to my reply # 2 above.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community