cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 11 of 27

Re: Here we go again: DAT 5865 -> 5866 -> 5865 !!!

10:55 PM local time here, and was just prompted to update again (presumably back to 5865 again, since I already have 5866).

So, yup, it's happening all over again.

It was too much to ask to get a "resolution" for more than 24 hours, it seems.

MM

SOUTH
Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Thanks for your reply. I'm a retired oil field service company electronic technician

and have a lot of experiance with various computers and operating systems (not a rookie).

I'm at a total loss with what is going on right now.

Been happy with McAfee for 20 years until now.

As I said in my previous post, will be switching to DSL tomorrow and will give downloading a

new Dat file  another shot. Perhaps with a faster connection, I will be able to try

different things to bring in a newer Dat file.  If not, my only option will be to

get a working anti-virus software, 14 days of no updates, no explanation and

no help is very dangerious now-days.

BigJ
Former Member
Message 13 of 27

MoxieMomma wrote:

10:55 PM local time here, and was just prompted to update again (presumably back to 5865 again, since I already have 5866).

So, yup, it's happening all over again.

It was too much to ask to get a "resolution" for more than 24 hours, it seems.

MM

MoxieMomma I had 5866 at 2:30 pm tuesday afternoon and shut down computer and went to work. Came home at 11:00 pm and turned computer on at 11:50 pm with automatic update on and it downloaded 5865 which did take alot longer then usual. This is downright terrible and I have always checked my dat number when get new updates so I do not care what security says I am protected this should not happen. McAfee is making me downright ferious now. Unbeleivable that they can't fix this problem!!!!!1

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 1/19/10 11:47:19 PM CST

Message was edited by: BigJ on 1/19/10 11:48:45 PM CST
FrustratedInc
Former Member
Message 14 of 27

I have been having problems with the Virus Scan updates since 1/10/2010. I have a dial-up connection and my updates usually take approximately 2-3 minutes but something strange started to happen with the updates. They started updating very slow and it took 3 hours for the update on 1/10/2010 to download and install. I thought it was a very large file so I didn't think anything of it, then it happened again on 1/16/2010. This particular update took 3 hours and 20 minutes. I had been getting automatic updates and in between the very long updates, I had daily updates that were "normal", until about an hour ago. It happened again, I still had my Virus Scan configured to do automatic updates and I started to get one of those very long updates, I am sure it would have been another 3 hour marathon so I shut down my computer and turned off the automatic updates.

I have been reading this board since Saturday and that is when I realized that I wasn't the only one who was having these problems. It is inexcusable that this problem hasn't been fixed yet. This is a big problem for me because I have a dial up connection. It also slows my computer down to a crawl and I can hardly use it. If these problems continue, I can't continue using this product. It is a shame because I was very happy with this product up unitl these problems started to happen.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 15 of 27

We are ALL having these problems.

As some of us know, it apparently started nearly 2 weeks ago (it was a different "version" of the problem, but it was still a M issue with their servers). Took 3 days to "fix".

This current problem started Friday/Saturday of this week, and was supposedly fixed yesterday.

But it clearly has not.

I fear that even trusty Peter has been run off in exasperation, as he has been valiantly trying to assist us. (Alas, as my patience wore ever thinner earlier tonight, I regret that I may have hurt his feelings, though that was never my intent.)

I mentioned to McAfee over the weekend that what they were seeing/hearing was only the tip of the iceberg.

Most of the users who update "silently" (automatically, without notifying) wouldn't even know there's an issue until it had continued long enough to generate a "red X"/"system not protected" message.

Once that starts happening, many more customers will "know" they have a problem, if not what it is or how to fix it.

Those of us who update semi/manually and watch the DAT file versions were the first to pick up on it.

I'm on a HSI connection (cable w/Turbo), so the downloads aren't bad, time-wise (though they are happening every 4 hours, unless we disable auto updates).

But what's happening is that the servers seem to be pushing out one version of the DAT file (requiring a download and install), only to push out an "old" version for an "update" 4 hours later, and then back and forth and back and forth.

So, McAfee is probably still trying to download and install one version on your dialup, when the "next" update comes out.

I suspect -- though I don't know enough about this to be sure -- that your security center is being caught in some sort of perpetual updating process that is exacerbated by your slow internet connection. Your connection might be timing out or the updater may be hanging during the process as a result. Or the DAT files may be getting corrupted during the process. Or all of the above?

At least that's what I think.

(Without input from McAfee engineers, it's hard to say.)

An occasional "bad" DAT file happens from time to time, resulting in a messy or problematic update until the next version is published.

What we're experiencing now is orders of magnitude more prolonged, more serious, and IMHO, more indicative of critical systemic failures at McAfee.

Worst of all, as best as I can determine, the company shows no interest or aptitude in resolving it (and I am NOT talking about the wonderful mentors and moderators on the forums, I am talking about "corporate").  The last we heard from them directly was 2 nights ago. A single post saying it had been fixed, when it had not.

I had recently renewed my subscription a few weeks before this all started.

I think I am going to end up forfeiting the cost, in order to replace this product with a better one.

How much longer are we expected to wait????

Sorry to vent, but this simply defies comprehension at this point,

MM

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 16 of 27

Hi, again, SOUTH:

YUP.

Back to resarching other products (a process I started last weekend).

Of course, since my McAfee was OEM (wouldn't have purchased it on my own, to be sure), I have to go back through Dell to buy something else, in order to maintain my support contract & warranty.

But they seem to offer a full selection of top-rated products from which to choose.

I really hate to embark on this.

But we have been waiting and waiting and waiting long enough.

And the many hours of lost productivity are also costly.

Not to mention the eventual security risk.

I was waiting to do a Vista -> 7 upgrade on this system at some point.

Since I know that McAfee has to be uninstalled for this (see the excellent article posted by Ex Brit yesterday) anyway, perhaps it's just karma...

Time to kill 2 birds with 1 stone -- new OS and new ISS??

MM

user_6
Former Member
Message 17 of 27

Hello,

the same here: manually I got 5866 yesterday.

This morning when I have switched on the computer, an automatic update put me back at 5865!

So noting is solved.

A solution?
Regards,

Ce message a été modifié par: jerome.lichne on 20/01/10 02:29:45 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 27

SOUTH wrote:

I have just joined this forum because of the on going Dat update problem.

I have not been able to do a successful Dat update since 01/07/10. I've run Virt. Tech. several times and

no trouble found. I have been following several threads on this problem and have found

no solutions. I am on dialup and will be switching to DSL tomorrow and will give it another try.

I consider going on 13 days without a Dat update to be a serious situation and am very

surprised  at McAfee's lack of a solution or explanation of any kind.

If you haven't been able to update then there is another problem than what we are discussing and I suggest starting a new thread of your own otherwise it will get lost in this mess.

You might also consider contacting Technical Support Chat.  They can escalate an issue and even connect with your machine to check things out.

McAfee have posted in several areas regarding the issue we are discussing so it just simply is not true that there is no explanation.  They thought it was fixed, but for some it appears not to be the case, although I still haven't experienced this second reversal that people are now discussing.

BigJ
Former Member
Message 19 of 27

Peter it really did happen again in Ohio last night so I again have to turn automatic updates off. I repeat McAfee is really terrible for letting this problem persist for alot of us home users.

Jerry

PS McAfee must have a bunch of morons working on there server issues.. This really is BAD!!!!!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 27

Tell me about it!!  They are aware of the latest debacle....let's hope this time they really fix it.   The strange thing is that I didn't get it here the second time and I'm using a US server.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community