cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cristina
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Help, please! Problems with McAfee dat file

My office computer detected from my pen drive  a virus today called w32.pilleuz!gen1. When I came back home I made sure my computer had updated virus definitions, made a virus scan of the computer, made a scan from the pen drive and nothing showed up. Everything appeared AOK. However, I went into the McAfee site and searched the options to fix the virus, downloaded a DAT file called 5646xdat and when I tried to execute it, a window appears with a message saying I do not a the McAfee registered product.

I went online to customer service, thinking this was simple, but it was not. The customer service agent cannot help with this and was unable to answer the simple question as to what does that mean?

I was told to call but I discovered the services have a fee.

I am upset and tired. This is a simple problem. My McAfee product has a mere 2 months. My computer has barely 4 months.

I don't understand how my office system would alert me and the home computer would not. My system had been updated.

I think this is a trojan. I want it out of my computer, but do not know how to work with the McAfee programs. I used  to have  Norton, and one would simply download and it would be fine. But with McAfee I download and cannot run it. And there is no tech support for this????

Why?

Please someone help.

Thanks
Cristina

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Help, please! Problems with McAfee dat file

Those DAT and SDAT downloads are for Enterprise products not Home.   Just right-click the taskbar icon and select Updates to do it manually.

If  nothing showed on your pendrive then it has probably already been  quarantined.  Open SecurityCenter and click Navigation at top right.

Then click Quarantined and Trusted Items and in those areas once expanded it's probably sitting.

Have you tried putting your pendrive into another machine and see if anything is detected.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community