Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nnnmmm1134
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Having problems with right click virus scan

Jump to solution

I'm having a problem with my McAfee virus scan (not the full scan, just the one where you scan selected items).  For some reason every time I try to scan just specific items, it ignores what I selected and scans directories such as c:\windows\Sys instead. 

This type of scan worked last night, but as of today it's like this for some reason.  I noticed windows did an update when I shut down my computer last night, so possibly this has something to do with it. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nnnmmm1134
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Having problems with right click virus scan

Jump to solution

The situation seems to have changed on its own.  After restarting my system a few times now it seems to work again. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
nnnmmm1134
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

The situation seems to have changed on its own.  After restarting my system a few times now it seems to work again. 

tyomni
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Than set this to answered

joyinjesus
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. However let me give a few more details. I had the viruscan on my old hard drive and one day it just malfuntioned, so I just recently had the hard drive replaced, logged into my Mc Afee account to re download it to my new hard drive, and it scans everything perfectly but if I try to right click and choose one item to scan it does exactly what it is doing to you.  I really need help. I have spokenm to three tec from Mc Afee and they offered solutions that didn't work. I have run the virtual tec, I have un installed and re installed yet I face the same issue. If anyone can help, I'd be forever grateful. Ty.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

It depends what it is that you are right-clicking to scan.  Sometimes VirusScan will also have to scan the associated registry entries, which makes it appear that it's doing a full scan but actually it isn't.

Try running the Virtual technican to see if it discovers and fixes any errors:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/ 

If that fails to help and you have rebooted as the other user above suggested, then uninstall via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP)

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page and reboot.

Then reinstall your software from the online account.

joyinjesus
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you very much Ex-Britt.

I have tried all that you suggested beforehand with two previous tecs from Mc afee and it still remains unresolved.

However I have contacted Mc Afee and they are to have someone call my home to help address the issue, so i am keeping my fingers crossed.

But I do thank you very kindlly for your reply and your help.

Have a great day

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

That's good, hopefully they'll sort it out.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community