Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CristianH
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

HELP quarantine takes long to load

Jump to solution

ever since i bought Mcafee Total Protection 2010 when i try to go to the quarantined area, Quarantined Items,  Quarantined Potential Unwated Programs, Trusted Items, they take forever to load whatever they have quarantined sometimes it will take around 5-10 minutes to load nothing when other times it takes 10-20minutes to load what they have quarantined.Also, when i try to delete the items quarantined mcafee just freezes up and wont delete the items.                        does anyone know what is wrong here?

thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Re: HELP quarantine takes long to load

Jump to solution

It's a known issue, when there are too many the display jams up.   You can physically remove them from within the Windows environment.

First double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts (left)

Click Access Protection to expand that section

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and the folder should empty.

Take care to delete only the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Those instructions are for Vista/Windows 7. 

For XP the folder is found at:  C:Documents & Settings/All Users/ApplicationData/McAfee/Virusscan

You can reduce their number in future considerably if you are prepared to accept Tracking Cookies.  Those enable websites to remember your sign-in details etc.

With SecurityCenter open click Virus and Spyware Protection to expand that section.

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Settings and scroll down to Tracking Cookies

Uncheck that and click Apply.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/01/12 11:17:37 EST AM

View solution in original post

8 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Please answer the following questions:

Did you previously have any security software installed?

How do you connect to the internet?

Are you up to date with all Microsoft updates?

What operating system in your computer?

How much ram available?

What is your service pack?

Have you run the McAfee Virtual Technician, and if so did it find anything that needed attention?

Technical Support Chat is available 24 hours a day and can remotely connect to your computer to see if it finds any conflicts inside. They can send a tool to you along with instructions on how to run it and fix things it may find. They can be accessed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Another option is to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot, then run the MCPR removal tool and reboot, then login to your McAfee account and download and install the software and see if that corrects the issue. The answers to the above questions will also assist support personell make additional recommendations to assist you.

Tom K3TG

CristianH
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

1) I had the 2009 mcafee total protection

2) I am using a modem

3) I am up to date with Microsoft updates

4) Microsoft Windows XP

Media center Edition

Version 2002

Service pack 3

5) Total Physical Memory: 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory: 397.72 MB

Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory: 1.95 GB

6) Service pack 3

I did run the Virtual Technician and it did not find anything wrong

Message was edited by: CristianH on 5/3/10 3:48:32 AM CDT
indinfer
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Me too. Except as long as I have waited, Quarantined Items never loads. It looks like it gets into some infinite loop.

Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Progarms -- same problem. Never loads. Instead it freezes in some infinite loop. Then it crashed. Windows 7 terminated it. I restarted it. (I have AntiVirus Plus).

This time Quarantined Items loaded within 3 seconds. But then Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs crashed AntiVirus Plus again. Windows terminated it.

I started it again. This time I clicked on Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs, first. AntiVirus Plus instantly went into its infinite loop, froze, and crashed.

When it crashes, it also moves the desktop icon back towards the left. where new icons appear on installation. I deleted the icon. I started AntiVirus Plus again. Clicked on Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs. Infinite-loop freeze, then crashed, Windows terminated. The icon reappeared back on the left.

I restarted AntiVirus Plus. This time I tried Trusted Items. It opened instantly. Quarantined Items opened within three seconds. However,  Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs infinite-looped crashed again. Windows terminated the program. Icon moved to left again. Whenever I delete the icon, the icon re-appears every time. Whenever I move the icon instead of deleting, the icon moves back. And the icon behavior happens whenever AntiVirus Plus crashes. The icon re-appearance and movement also happens on restarting Windows and on a McAfee update.

Whenever I click on Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs, Windows Task Manager shows mcagent.exe taking 30% of CPU and mchost.exe taking 20%. After a minute or two mchost.exe takes almost nothing and mcagent.exe takes over 50% of CPU.

A window poped up this time saying that a Script on the browser was slowing things down. I clicked Yes to stop the script. Then Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs looked like it unfroze. However, it was still caught in its infinite loop.

I hope my details can help the McAfee team reproduce the problem. Let me know what additional details are pertinent.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

It's a known issue, when there are too many the display jams up.   You can physically remove them from within the Windows environment.

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and the folder should empty.

Take care to delete only the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Those instructions are for Vista/Windows 7. 

For XP the folder is found at:  C:Documents & Settings/All Users/ApplicationData/McAfee/Virusscan

You can reduce their number in future considerably if you are prepared to accept Tracking Cookies.  Those enable websites to remember your sign-in details etc.

With SecurityCenter open click Virus and Spyware Protection to expand that section.

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Settings and scroll down to Tracking Cookies

Uncheck that and click Apply.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/01/12 11:17:37 EST AM
indinfer
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

I followed the procedure and it worked beautifully.

I had 7,779 items in the quarantine folder that used 24.4 MB. I had no idea I had that many items. McAfee AntiVirus Plus has been very busy protecting my computer!

Thank you telling me how to solve the problem. The problem is solved and I reclaimed significant disk space as a bonus.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

McAfee has a ticket open on this subject.  We Moderators reckon that the folders should self-clean at the 30 days mark perhaps.   Not too sure when a fix will happen.

madelimek
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

I tries this and when I tried to delete the contents of the file it stated that I needed system prmission to do this and access was denied. It siad it was a BUP File.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Did you follow these steps first?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community