cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackYan
Contributor II
Message 21 of 24

Re: Full scan takes up to 5 days to complete.

Hi Peter:

I don’t have very many zipped folders on this particular machine—I have heaps more on another one (where the scan takes a normal time). I’m a fairly good archiver so I take things off, shift them to an external HD, or burn them on to DVDs. I tend to leave the laptop, in particular, quite light. The drive is also not compressed.

My scans are automatic. I’ve done the odd custom one but the one that is running now is an automatic one.

The laptop is fairly new (15 months—though in retail terms it is three generations old!) so I might try the minimal resources option. Currently it’s up to 96 per cent and appears to be scanning inside the registry. I imagine the scan will finish tonight, at long last, so it must have “sped up” somewhere to get to this number. (In other words, it’s five days for me as well, like the OP.)

Since I’ve four per cent to go, I’ll let it finish and then do the disk check as you suggested. I’ll also play with the options to see if they make any difference.

Best,

Jack

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 24

OK and if all else fails open a case with Technical Support Chat as it shouldn't be taking that long.

JackYan
Contributor II
Message 23 of 24

Peter, the disk check seems to have done the trick: the scan is back down to a couple of hours. Thank you!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 24

That's great news.  Glad it helped.   Good luck.

Moved to VirusScan 14 - 2010 as possibly a bit more appropriate.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/11/10 6:49:16 CST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community