Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rivulus1
Contributor II
Message 1 of 18

Full scan slow , shut down option missing

Jump to solution

Up until a couple of months ago , a full scan with Antivirus Plus took 1.5 hours. The past couple of months , it has taken 4+ hours. Same system , nothing changed. The system is Windows 10 Pro , Intel Core i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz , 8 gigs ram , and a 1 terabyte HD (10% used). Any clue why the sudden slow down? Drive is defragmented prior to scan.

Also , sometime in the past few months , the option to shut down after a scan if all was OK vanished. The version of AV+ on the system is 16.0 release 16.0 R38. Will that option be coming back?

Thanks , 

Jeff

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sivasubramanian
Message 11 of 18

Re: Full scan slow , shut down option missing

Jump to solution

@rivulus1 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We request you to kindly response to the private message to proceed further.

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 18

Jump to solution

@rivulus1 

We will take this as feedback regarding the shut down option.

The scan time differs pertaining to the files that was recently used/modified by the applications. However, we request you to remove temporary files and browser cookies using McAfee tracker remover and ensure those files were cleared before initiating scan. Please update us the status on the same.

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
rivulus1
Contributor II
Message 3 of 18

Jump to solution

I always clear all temp files and cookies before a full scan. There has been no change in how I prepare prior to a scan and no change in what applications are used. All updates for the OS and applications are regularly installed. Something in VS would seem to have changed.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 18

Jump to solution

That option is to return was supposed to come late August but held up. They brought back pause immediately though. At least my Mcafee contacts say this

rivulus1
Contributor II
Message 5 of 18

Jump to solution

Thanks. That was what I basically concluded regarded the shut down option.

The slow full scans are the main concern. No changes to the system , but a few months ago , a full scan took 1.5 hours. The one I tried on 9/30 took 30 minutes to get past 5% and at 4 hours was only at 75%. Approx. the same amount of data (10%) on the drive each time. No clue why this is now happening. 

BTW , this is Jeff M. , the guy you sent the memory sticks to several years back for my XP system , which has now been replaced with the Win 10 system described above.

rivulus1
Contributor II
Message 6 of 18

Jump to solution

Any other suggestions on this? Doesn't a full scan simply scan everything , no matter when last used? If so , there has to be some reason for the slow down as the drive volume has not been added to.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 18

Jump to solution

Full scan 1st time takes a while. If you follow up say tomorrow with a full scan should take way shorter as any files not changed since previous scan are skipped if no changes detected.

rivulus1
Contributor II
Message 8 of 18

Jump to solution

Makes sense. However , I have always done a full scan once a month. Up until a few months ago , it always took about 1.5 hours. The last few months , it has taken close to 5 hours. Same drive , same data. If the full scans will now be taking such long times , the option to have it shut down the system would be nice. 

sivasubramanian
Message 9 of 18

Jump to solution

@rivulus1 

Please let us know whether you have done a scheduled scan once a month before or a full scan. The files are scanned only when accessed by you or another process running on your computer. If you have any zipped/compressed files it will take a bit time to scan those files to ensure it is not infected.

Regards
Siva N

rivulus1
Contributor II
Message 10 of 18

Jump to solution

I always do a full scan on the last day of the month that I initiate (not scheduled). There are compressed files , but they are the same ones each time. No new ones have been added in over 6 months.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community