cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EmeraldCircle
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Full scan problem since renewing my subscription, can anyone help please?

Hello~

Since renewing my subscription last month, my "full scan" is now taking 6 hours to do just 20%!!!!  Nothing has changed on my computer except downloading the new subscription.  I haven't been able to complete a full scan yet because it is taking so long. 

I had no problems with the full scan on my last subscription with McAfee, just since renewing and downloading the new one.

I did chat to a technician online on Thursday and was told to uninstall and reinstall as a file might be corrupted.  I have done this twice and also used the McAfee removal tool, but the problem is still the same!

I have also tried the virtual technician twice, and it keeps saying nothing is wrong!

I have windows Vista, my computer is only a year old, and have had no problems previously before I downloaded the new subscription, so my guess is that something is wrong with it!  But I've no idea what or how to fix it! 

I am beginning to wish I had not renewed my subscription, as if this had happened before it ran out I would have looked elsewhere.  But annoyingly it has happened since renewing and I now have a year that I've paid for with McAfee.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please would you let me know.  Thank you.

6 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Full scan problem since renewing my subscription, can anyone help please?

See if this helps by opening Security Center by ticking on the red McAfee emblem in your taskbar. When it opens tick on Navigation and then tick on Scheduled Scan Settings. If you see a black check mark inside the little box Scan Using Minimal Resources then uncheck it so the box is clear and then click on Apply. Try to run a full scan again and let us know how much time it takes.

If you recently renewed your subscription you have 30 days to cancel it if you so choose to do so and you would have to contact Customer Service to have it cancelled.

EmeraldCircle
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Hello Tom~

Thank you for responding to my question, I appreciate that.  I tried what you suggested and the Minimal Resources was checked, so I unchecked it and tried another scan, but after 55 minutes the scan hadn't even done 1 %, so the problem is still there.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Hi EmraldCircle,

Could you please get in touch with our technical support chat so that they could diagnose the issue and fix it for you. Please contact tech support chat though useful links available at the top of this page .

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

EmeraldCircle
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

An update: - Nothing the tech people at McAfee suggested worked - which was basically uninstall and then reinstall, and run an Internet Fixer they sent me the link to (which didn't work.)  Also, told that if it didn't work, then it was an Internet Explorer problem or a Microsoft problem and to contact vendor!  Considering nothing had changed on my computer, except installing McAfee, I doubted that were true and it wasn't.  After leaving everything alone (not contacting vendor etc) a McAfee automatic update happened last weekend, which told me to restart computer.  And afterwards I decided to run a full scan . . . this time it worked!!!  So the problem seems to have been fixed since the new McAfee update.  I'm happy it's been fixed, but unhappy that McAfee were extremely unhelpful when there was a problem and also tried to put the blame on anything but their own error.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Emeraldcircle,

I am glad to hear your issue seems to be resolved now. When you get a moment if you could please go back in to the thread and mark as being answered.

I cannot speak for Technical Support but I do know they read these forums and the management team of McAfee does also.

If any issues down the road, we are here to help.

Good Luck

mckennat
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

The "minimal resource" issue is very interesting.  Along with my other myriad of problems, the most persistent was my long running scheduled scan.  The manual scan ran in about 45-50 minutes but the scheduled scan took about 5 hours.  Through 4-5 chat sessions and 1 call with both tier 1 and tier 2 support, not one McAfee support person suggested I turn this option off.  It was only this afternoon that I discovered this on my own and it looks like it fixed my long running scheduled scan, since it finished in about 50 minutes.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community