cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Youngsenpai26
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Full System Scan stuck on 43%

I have a fairly old computer and I'm trying to run a full system scan, its been at 43% for about 10 hours now. The number of files scanned keeps going up and went from about 400k to 600k now but it's still at 43%. The whole scan has been going for 24 hours now. Why is the percent not increasing? Is the scan working just not changing the number?

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Full System Scan stuck on 43%

It should eventually end but I agree it should not be taking so long.

I would try giving the hard drive a defrag as a disk-read fault may be the cause, do it before running a scan..

To do this go to This PC and then right click the drive and select Properties, Tools, Error Checking, (1st option).   Let that run, it may take a while.  As it's an old machine it may be running an old OS.  The above is for Wiin 10 users but is more or less the same in all systems.

---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---

Youngsenpai26
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I have windows 7. The disc is also 14% fragmented but when we press defrag, it doesn't change. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Try following the advice in THIS Windows 7 Forums post.

It could also be stuck on unpacking a ZIPPED folder, so if possible, remove any zipped folders to another drive for storage and deal with them later.

---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---

Youngsenpai26
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Okay, ill check it out thanks!

Any advice why the percentage isn't changing though?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

As I stated, it could have stuck trying to unpack a zipped folder.   But if you see the number of files going up then it isn't stuck and all I can then advise you to do is wait for it to complete.

I always do a quick scan as a full system scan on my 10 or more drives would take forever.

Let's see if a Moderator here has further suggestions.  They probably wont catch up until after the holidays.

---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community