cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
epsilon
Former Member
Message 41 of 43

Re: Full Scan Slows/Hangs on big avis

What you say about McAfee's view of this is revealing of their attitude.

Certainly we can exclude big files from scheduled scans and bring the times down to something acceptable.  But that doesn't make my computer usable in the hour or so that it's stuttering over the hundreds or thousands of small files that cause it problems.  And is excluding files from scans meant to improve our security?  I don't think so.  It may not create a major loophole but I pay for something that, when I ask it to do a full scan of my system, will do just that - check everything.  I don't pay to have to go through all the trouble of creating and updating long whitelists of all the files not to be scanned.  And then, when forced to do a reinstall (as I was a few days ago - how many times have I had to do that over the years?), I had to go all through the process of creating the whitelist again.  Even the UI for creating the whitelists is not very user friendly, making the process slower than it otherwise might be.

No thank you, I don't pay to have to do that sort of thing.  But now, as I reported in another thread, I'm not paying McAfee at all - primarily because of this scanning problem.

As my subscription winds down into its final days, I read so many threads on these forums regarding unexpected scanning slowdowns, similar to my own, and wonder how many affected people are simply giving up and quietly moving away.

Peacekeeper
Message 42 of 43

That thought was mine I would have assumed as the new 2012 is in beta soon and it does things differently things might be a lot better. 

What I do is scan the offending folders ie my 10 years of jpgs 12Gb or so and then after scanning exclude them. Real time scanning protects you if they are opened and infected not that jpgs are a big issue.

Same thing with zips scan them them exclude the folder

OK ---this ok for the knowledgeable ones but new and PC newbees would have problems so will rediscuss this on Monday's call.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 19/09/11 7:10:19 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 19/09/11 7:11:11 AM
graemew
Former Member
Message 43 of 43

Until some time in June I didn't have to exclude avi files - Mcafee scanned them quite rapidly.  Now if you attempt it, it never finishes and then the pc won't run.

As I have said earlier in this forum, I produce courseware with my AutoCad training which consists of dozens of avi files.  I like to be able to say to my learners that I have scanned the disks using Mcafee.  I can't say that now, except of course I now say I have scanned them using Kaspersky  since this has replaced Mcafee on one of my three pcs.

I am very near replacing Mcafee on the other two.

This issue together with the WFP issue on a friend's pc which I am goi8ng to have to sort out doesn't give me the greatest confidence. I have been a great advocate of Mcafee for many years (and Solomons and S&S before that).  No-one seems to care now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community