cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 21 of 43

Re: Full Scan Slows/Hangs on big avis

Whitelisting will.can be reset after an update that is understandable  . So just exclude them once scanned

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/06/11 8:22:08 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/06/11 11:54:59 AM
acegrep
Former Member
Message 22 of 43

This behavior is not limited to large avi files. I have multi-gb tib files that cause the same behavior. McAfee software changes distributed in May is where this problem started. Scheduled scans were still running 8 hours after they normally completed. I needed to power down the computer to stop the scanning, windows shutdown would not shutdown the machine. I figured out that I needed to white list the large files.

epsilon
Former Member
Message 23 of 43

Hi acegrep,

This seems to confirm what we now suspected, that files other than avis can cause this behaviour.  Just the same symptoms as I had.  I keep my tib files on a separate external drive which is only run when I back up so they don't get scanned.  I figure as long as I keep the rest of my machine clean then these files will be clean and it's arguably preferable to keep my backups separate from my PC as much as possible.  I don't want any other software (even security scans) doing things with my backups.

Tony:  thanks for following up on the auto whitelisting.  It looks as though, for the time being we shall simply have to exclude the problem files from scheduled scans.  A slight difficulty there is, in some cases, unexpected files seem able to cause hang-ups too, and not always the big files.  I shall have to set up the exclusions by individual files rather than folders because, as I do my video editing, other stuff comes and goes through those folders and I don't want to open a potential security loophole.  Excluding the big avis from subsequent scanning is perhaps not a major issue for me because I create them myself so I'm fairly sure they are clean at source.

I'd say this is clearly a software bug involving scheduled scans because, when individually scanned, they complete quickly enough (do you find this too, acegrep?).  Let's hope that the people at McAfee can find out what's going on and cure it soon.

Regards, all,

e.

darkpath
Former Member
Message 24 of 43

Ouch, was hoping for a better answer than putting folders on whitelist. I acually rip my dvd's alot to play on wdtv live. And also play with re-encoding alot, so at times I have alot of files all over in different places. Guess I will see how next scan goes on friday.

Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 43

Ok whitelisting will reset on updates but not on reboot this reconfirmed by techs. I have changed my post above

epsilon
Former Member
Message 26 of 43

Hello again, darkpath.

Ouch indeed!  It's not a perfect answer is it?  Certainly not for the long term..

Just lately, I've been neglecting my video activities because of other more pressing stuff at home but when I get onto it again, big avi files will be coming and going periodically in various folders (not to mention the small files that cause hang-ups too) and having to keep my whitelist updated manually will become an extra chore I could well do without.  It's the sort of thing that prompts one to think  "Do I want to be paying out good money to be forced to do this?" and to start looking around at the alternatives.  But I don't really want to go there yet.  My annual renewal is still a few months off and, I'd prefer to think positively and hope that this is a short term bug that will soon be fixed.

Tony, thanks for the update on whitelisting - just slightly better news but unfortunately not enough to mean that we don't need to whitelist our files manually.

Regards, all,

e.

darkpath
Former Member
Message 27 of 43

Yeah Epsilon, I feel same was hoping enough people would have the problem they would be all over it. I to really hate change. I have used Mcafee sence my first modern pc, must be going on 15+ years. Has not always been the best but at least mostly the same.

Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 43

What I can say is 2012 version will be so they say better but this early days. I see spreading avis etc all over the place would be annoying when they jam up.

epsilon
Former Member
Message 29 of 43

Just an update on my latest scheduled scan.

I manually whitelisted all my big avi files before this scan.  A new update had arrived prior to the scan, however, which I am guessing removed all of the auto whitelisting of other files which had followed earlier scans.

The scan took 2hrs 15mins, which is still a lot longer than the <1 hour that full scans (including the big files) used to take until a week or so ago.

I was able to watch what what happening for about the last half-hour of the scan and, in line with what others have said, it was hanging up on some of my small (140k) avis too.  I found that it would repeatedly skip through a few files or tens of files in a few seconds then hang up on one for 2-3 minutes.  It was clearly not just the avis on which it was scanning slowly, however, as I saw bmps and mpgs that also seemed to be intermittently slow.  The latest version of VS certainly seems to have some problems.

Regards,

e.

darkpath
Former Member
Message 30 of 43

Yeah my scheduled scan was friday also. It was going for at least 4 hours. I finally cancled it becuase it was on d drive anyway that just has video storage and old files I have had for years. But the plus side was I was able to puase the scan a few times (sence pc is almost useable during the stuck time) so I could things quick. I was also able to cancle the scan. Which last week I could do neither. I could even shut the pc down after cancle, which I could not do last week also. I too have now whitelisted almost a whole drive. But sence there is updates almost everyday do not know how long that will last.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community