Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
epsilon
Former Member
Message 11 of 43

Re: Full Scan Slows/Hangs on big avis

Hi again.

Just to report that I've followed your suggestion, Peacekeeper (or should I call you Tony - I've just noticed that).  All of the big avi files were already in two big folders (with some other associated files, mostly bmps for video editing) so I just excluded these two folders from a custom scan.  The scan completed (clean) in about 15 minutes.

'Bye.

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 43

15  minutes how many files and what is the size of your drive/s. Asking as that is a tad fast so a lot of the drives are avis ...correct.

epsilon
Former Member
Message 13 of 43

Hi Tony,

File count was 284k.

I've 4 internal drives.  C drive is 80GB and consists of 2 SSDs in RAID 0 (i.e. pretty fast - perhaps accounts for the speed).  2x500GB hard drives, about 75% full, are mostly filled with avis.  A recently installed 1TB hard drive has 70GB of misc files on it at the moment.

'Bye.

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 43

Ah the large avi content explains it thanks.

darkpath
Former Member
Message 15 of 43

I am not so sure its even just large avi. Short ones hang also, but it is avi's. I do not want to set a;ways not scan. I am hoping it will be something fixed soon. I did end up completing a full scan with it at 99% most of the time but slowly going through avi's. It took about 15 hours. I also noticed for some reason it really would hang pc, even though it was nto using much ram or cpu. I was going to do some muxing but itstead of the 3 seconds it noraml takes it was taking 5 minute a file. So decided to wait. I had other stuff to do today anyway, and sure enough once scan finished my pc was back to normal. But needless to say sence I was able to finish I know the files were all good and it did not find anything.

I guess the really strange part is trying to cancle and windows not being able to shutdown. Even after it thinks its closed everything. I did not even know something could prevent it that bad. But once scan completed was able to restart and everything fine.

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 43

VS does some whitelisting. So the first time it takes longer to scan a file. Then subsequent scans on the same file will be skipped due to whitelist.

epsilon
Former Member
Message 17 of 43

That's interesting Tony.

So we seem to be making a little progress.  This explains why, once the files have scanned, they won't scan again.  That's exactly what I've been finding.  I've been unable to persuade McAfee to re-scan any of the avi files in question and now I know why.  It also explains why I was just able to run a full scan and complete it in 6 minutes !  Many (most?) of my files must have been whitelisted from previous scanning activity.

I think I agree with darkpath that it's not just big avi files that cause hang ups, although possibly with a slightly different emphasis.  I did a full search of my system for avi files.  I found a couple of dozen of the really big ones, a few dozen smaller ones (from a few MB to a couple of hundred MB) and something in excess of 5000 small avis typically in the region of 140kB (I do video editing and the rendered timelines are saved as avis so I end up with lots of these).  I can't say, however, that I've noticed any hangups on any avis other than the big ones.  But since I'm not gazing at my screen for hours on end watching the scans, I can't rule it out (and presumably the hung-up time on a smaller file would be proportionately shorter?).  The codec might be significant too, so perhaps mine are just the wrong type.  Strangely though, I did a custom scan (but with everything selected) a little while ago and the scan progressed pretty quickly through to 99% (in about 12 minutes) but then seemed to hang up on a Word document (a Word 2007 .docx sized at only 2.6MB) !  Now there's a surprise.  I left it still scanning when it had been going for about 35 minutes and came back a couple of hours later by which time the scan had completed.  This is getting more confusing !

Anyway it looks like the topic seems to be expanding.  We now have indications that both big and small files (and perhaps not just avis) can cause hang-ups while scanning.  And we still don't know why some files seem to hang up the PC and take a really long time to complete, in a full scan, while, if scanned individually, they complete in a few minutes?

Whitelisting probably means that, as long as I don't add any more files to my PC, I may be able to run full scans quite quickly.  When I add big new files, however, I probably need to scan them individually first.  Although, an inconvenience, I could probably cope (at least in the short term) with that for the big files but I clearly can't do it for all the smaller files so there may still be occasions on which hang-ups will occur.  As you say, darkpath, the strange part is that it's not just the scan that's slow but the computer is crippled and can't multi-task, even though the CPU time used while it's hung up is (at least in my case) indistinguishable from idling, i.e. 1-2%.  This certainly adds markedly to the inconvenience.

Tony, do you know if the whiltelisting expires after a period of time?  If so, we'll find that scans will eventually hang-up again in the future, even if we don't add any new files.  Also, will the whitelists persist through updates of definitions and software?  Finally, is there an easy way of editing or clearing the whitelist to allow further investigation of the problem?  At the moment, the whitelisting means that I can't go back and repeat scans or try different types of scan on the same files.

While we may have a partial work around for the problem, it seems to me that we don't yet have an acceptable long term solution so I'm hoping that McAfee will find and cure this fault soon.

Regards, guys.

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 43

Will ask too far above my knowledge

epsilon
Former Member
Message 19 of 43

Hi Tony,

Yes, it could be useful to have a bit more info about the whitelisting behaviour.

It seems to me that, when new definitions are issed, all files should have to be scanned against the new threats, including whitelisted ones.  If that reasoning is correct, then the hang-up problem is likely to recur every time that happens.  That is not going to be much fun.

'Bye for now.

Peacekeeper
Message 20 of 43

I just exclude the folders as my avis are not changing.

Will see what they say

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community