cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djb62
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Firewall will not stay on

My firewall will not stay on... the security center  keeps popping up and when you turn the firewall on it clicks right back off.

Looks like this is a common problem with lots of threads, though I've searched through them and can't find a root cause for my problems.  I don't appear to have the conserv.dll anywhere.  I figured it was a rootkit, so I've run Malewarebytes, hitman pro, antizeroaccess, and Rkill and all of them have found nothing. 

The only symptom I've found on my computer (other than that firewall won't stay on) is that my history on internet explorer is blank.  Otherwise no indications anything is wrong. 

Any ideas? 

FYI - I'm running Windows 7 with McAfee security center 11.0

4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Re: Firewall will not stay on

A couple of thoughts

1. Have you ever had another AV or firewall installed. Also was it working fine up to now?

2. Try Getsusp and stinger. Both do not update so you need to redownload them to get updates Getsusp will check your files and forward any suspicious to Mcafee for further investigation Ensure you add your email address to the preferences.

Sringer is updated week days.

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

3. Tried resetting IE to defaults?

4. Have you run MVT the virtual technician iet is on the tech support page

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

You can then contact support ,it is free and see if they see any cause.

5. Finally have you tried uninstalling Mcafee fully and reinstalling it?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

case59
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Tony, I posted yesterday with the same problem and then saw this posting.  I've also looked at several others.  It is such a common problem that I wonder why Mcafee hasn't evaluated carefully and come up with a solution.

Case59

flogger
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

You can also check event viewer and check out windows logs. See if you can find any plugin or siftware that is posing a conflict on this. It's under Administrative tools.

okieeric
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Hello, I expreienced the exact same issue and have spent the last two hours dealing with it.

Finally got through to a mcafee CSR who dealt exclusively with Dell customers.

First we tried a complete uninstal/reinstall of SecurityCenter, which did not fix the problem.

Then he did a remote takeover of my system and ran some kind of registry editing utility on my system, which he said was designed by McAfee, and the problem was fixed.

I'm not sure what the utility was called or if it is available to non-Mcafee employees, but I would recommend callng customer support!

He also said the problem was actually with Windows Firewall, not SecurityCenter.

Hope this helps!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community