cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File flagged by McAfee but NOT flagged by McAfee

I ran Microsoft's free online scanner across my PC. It detected a single hit in a temporary folder named something like pdf.pdf - theoretically a PDF exploit. I then went to http://www.virustotal.com/ and ran its free single-file scan that uses a couple dozen different virus scanners on that file and a handful of them also flagged the file as a PDF exploit. Among the scanners that flagged it was "McAfee" with DAT file 5876. I then right-clicked on the file and selected "Scan" with my own install of McAfee Virusscan and there was no hit - the file was said to be clean.

I use McAfee Security Suite supplied to customers of Cox Internet - in this case it is using Virusscan 13.15 using DAT file 5877 on a Windows XP Pro box.

My question, of course, is why is there a difference in flagging of a file by VirusScan depending on where the VirusScan is residing and how do I, if necesary, correct this?

[as a personal aside - it's somewhat dismaying that only a handful of scanners flagged this file out of whatever large set of scanners virustotal has available]

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community