cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pol555
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

False Positive

I have a Seagate external drive with Replica software on it ,I keep getting a false positive from my Mcafee virus scan as a  Trojan, the file is Exploit-ScriptNull.

I have seen on the Internet that others are having the same problem.I would like to tell my virus scan to trust this file but I don't seem to have that option.It automatically quarantines it for me .When will the software allow me the choice of   warning me of issues and letting me dictate the response instead of arbitrarily taking action without my direct input. I Believe the old version allowed me that choice? What can I do besides turning off my Mcafee real time virus scan?

4 Replies
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: False Positive

Hi Pol555,

Email file to: virus_research@mcafee.com

When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file and email header should start with the word "False" (minus the "").

Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

If you've done that properly an automated response should be received almost immediately, followed by a manual one, usually within 24 - 48 hours.

If you don't receive anything it either means the file was submitted incorrectly or the response is sitting in your Junk or Spam mail folders.

**If they respond that it is an infection and you are sure it is not, forward* that email immediately to virus_research@mcafee.com and insert the word'False' (minus the '') in front of the header, but keep the rest of the header intact.

*recommending you use forward because at the moment if you hit reply it goes to the old avertlabs.com email address in error due to a programming error in McAfee's servers.

Thanks.

pol555
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

False Positive

I can't do that because the smallest file even after being zipped is still 34mb and they only accept a file smaller than 3mb

Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

False Positive

Hi pol555,

Create an account under https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp and there you will get an option to browse the sample that need to be submitted to McAfee Labs.

pol555
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

False Positive

Thank you  I took just the file inside the folder and was able to send it off.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community