Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmdoran
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

External Drive not recognized when plugged in

Hi,

Up till just recently when I plugged in my Seagate External Drive McAfee would alert me that a removable media was detected and did I want to scan it.  Now when I plug that drive in I get no such message.  The drive is recognized by Vista in my computer but McAfee doesn't seem to recognize that a removable media was installed.  It does for my zip drive and it does for my flash/USB sticks but not the lager HD.

thanks

Message was edited by: gmdoran on 5/20/13 6:11:11 AM CDT

Message was edited by: gmdoran on 5/20/13 6:11:55 AM CDT
16 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 17

Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in

Maybe something changed in the software and it only scans if there's new stuff on it...just a thought.

Go into SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Scanning

Click Settings

See if it makes a difference playing with the settings pertaining to "Check removable media drives".

You could also try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds anything wrong and fixes it.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Any changes made to settings may need a reboot to take effect.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/05/13 9:40:24 EDT AM
gmdoran
Former Member
Message 3 of 17

It is set for "when I plug in a drive ask me to scan it".  Any other type drive plugged into a usb port prompts that message.  When I plug in my Seagate drive it doesn't.  I'm wondering if there is some size limit on what the Real Time Scanning thinks is a removable device?

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 17

Try settng that to the last setting in that list and see if that changes anything.  If not then I suggest Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

gmdoran
Former Member
Message 5 of 17

Ex-Brit,  I did as you suggested but I'm not sure what result you expected?  By selecting that option it doesn't ask me to scan any device that gets connected to a USB port.  Putting it back to "when I plug in a drive ask me if I want to scan it." then It does ask for any flash drive....just not a 640gb external drive.  For some reason it doesn't recognize that seagate drive as removable.  But it does recognize it on the OS and I can access it's files just fine.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 17

Maybe there's been a change in Windows itself that alters the detection, I can't tell.  Best to contact Technical Support to get answers.  If you can access it OK I don't see any problems however.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 17

By the way I believe that once files are scanned VirusScan wont scan them again unless there are changes.

gmdoran
Former Member
Message 8 of 17

Ex-Brit...just got done with a chat session.  This is another "small" change in the program.  They removed having it ask to scan a HD when connected, it only will ask to scan a flash drive.  I'm always amazed that McAfee is notorious for taking away some function that their program provided and not telling anyone,  you just find it out.  I would much rather get the program and functions that I paid for for ALL of my subscription.  I can see and understand that .dat files and such for detecting viruses is necessary to update but they should allow me the option of whether or not I want to upgrade to a newer release of the software especially if it changes the features of the program.

Thanks for your help.  I still have not received anymore word on the firewall change.

PS....the files on the drive did change.  I"ve added about 100 files to the drive each week as I update.  It never asks to scan it(as per the program change)...they do say however I can manually scan it.

Message was edited by: gmdoran on 5/21/13 8:40:24 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 17

That's interesting.  I never knew that either. 

I will ask about that on our next conference call with McAfee staff, next Monday.

Good luck.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/05/13 6:32:43 EDT AM
Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 17

Agreed does not ask to scan my 1.5tb external seagate. This on beta 12.6

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community