Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
playcircus
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Exclude Files From Real-Time Scan

Jump to solution

I'm talking to a guy who has McAfee and he says he has an option under Real-Time Scan to exclude files.

-> settings

-> startup settings

-> excluded files

I do not have the excluded files option. I only have:

-> settings

-> startup settings

Does he have a different version than I do, or is there a way I can access this function? McAfee is blocking a game from creating files, which causes it to crash.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 9

Re: Exclude Files From Real-Time Scan

Jump to solution

I cannot do that you could join the beta group and install the latest beta

www.beta.mcafee.com

That is currently 14.0

Re ATT we mods and McAfee even do not say when ATT upgrades you could ask them I use several supplemental programs from

Free Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

as all AV scanners are not 100% detection

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Moved this to VirusScan.

Yes the latest versions (SecurityCenter v.13.6 or 14) have the option, however it isn't as easy as it sounds, anything that is most definitely dangerous can't be excluded, in other words it's limited.

If you get the software courtesy of a 3rd party such as your ISP or PC maker (for instance) may mean you'll be late getting that version.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

V13.6 has it but version 12.8 does not so if you have XP 12.8 is the most you will get.

playcircus
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

I have Windows 8 and my McAfee SecurityCenter is version 12.8. The AntiVirus is version 16.8. It updates automatically but my versions are old.

Is this because of the package that I purchased through AT&T or should I have access to the latest versions?

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Probably as peter said some PC makers and ISPs do their own QA testing and this holds version upgrades up. Some also want their own additions added  this can delay things as well. I would assume as 13 has been out nearly 12 mths they should upgrade soon.

playcircus
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

So, AT&T has been holding up McAfee updates for 12 months? I don't understand how this works as well as you guys do, but that seems pretty unreasonable. I've always considered switching to another virus scanner because McAfee causes nothing but problems and almost never detects malware that my other programs do. McAfee seems like I'm spending money for limited access to my own files and programs with very little benefit. Do you recommend that I just switch to another Antivirus program?

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

I cannot do that you could join the beta group and install the latest beta

www.beta.mcafee.com

That is currently 14.0

Re ATT we mods and McAfee even do not say when ATT upgrades you could ask them I use several supplemental programs from

Free Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

as all AV scanners are not 100% detection

playcircus
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

The beta is just what I needed. I am no longer experiencing crashes due to McAfee blocking my executable from creating files.You were very helpful, Peacekeeper. You were very knowledgeable and quick to reply, and your solution was dead-on. Thanks!

I will give the beta a try before deciding whether or not to part ways with McAfee. Thanks again.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

OK good luck.  Support for beta is here: which you will need to join.   There is also a Bug Reporting mechanism which will be linked once you can open that page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community