cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobSunny
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Error Occurred While Updating--Please reinstall Security Center

Hello! I was trying to update Virus Scan. The rotating red arrow icon keeps turning and the progess of the download kept increasing until 45% completion was reached, then no further progress was made and then a pop up stating an error occurred while updating--please reinstall Security Center.

My system is a Dell PC (Dimension E521 about 1-1/2 years old) with the following:
Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1
2 GB Memory

I have the following McAfee Products installed:
Security Center 9.0
Virus Scan 13.0
Personal Firewall 10.00
Site Advisor 2.8
Anti-Spam 10.0
Parental Control 11.0

The Vista operating system was installed new by Dell.

File System NTSF

MSN Dial UP

I have the Windows Updates installed.

I am located in Michigan, USA

I should mention that this problem has happened several times before--I have uninstalled the programs, used the MCPR Tool, downloaded and re-installed my programs from the McAfee website for Dell and things seem to be ok for a short while when downloading and installing Virus Scan updates. But it does seem that it hangs on 0% completion before it progresses with download. Or it hangs on some percentage completion between 0 and 100%. Then later when downloading the new Virus Scan updates, 100% completion is not achieved. And today I got this notice to reinstall Security Center.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, because I feel I should not have to keep uninstalling then reinstalling these programs. My problems started occurring in July 2008--I un-installed the programs, used the MCPR tool and re-installed from the McAfee website for Dell. Then a few months went by without a problem with Virus Scan updates. Recently I have encountered problems again.

I am a computer novice and have tried to read the forums, but not sure exactly what to do.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance and have a great day!!
13 Replies
ravisachan
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Hi Bob

I got the same message today on my dell laptop. Although when I open the McAfee Security Center it says everything is ok. I am reluctant to reinstall since this is the case. Not sure what to do. If you figure out an answer please post it here. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will respond.

I did find another thread on this subject here. Not sure how helpful it is to novices like you and I though.

http://community.mcafee.com/archive/index.php/t-226501.html
BobSunny
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Hi, ravisachan!!

Thanks for the reply!!

When I check Security Center, it says (Am I protected?? Yes) also.

I tried to update Virus Scan again, and this time it only goes to 31% complete and then a pop up says Error Occurred While Updating--Reinstall Security Center.

I will try to pursue this--thanks for the other thread. Not really sure what to do at this point, since I do not know the root cause of the problem

Are there any McAfee techs reading this??

Perhaps someone else reading this can give us some direction.

Thanks again!!
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 4 of 14

RE: Error Occurred While Updating--Please reinstall Security Center

hi,

does the error you're getting appears whenever you do manual update or when automatic update runs?

dial up connections can sometimes be very intermittent and may pose problems especially when updating virus scan... just for information can we check your dat files and the date at which virus scan was last updated? to do this please follow instructions below:

1. open mcafee security center
2. click on the about button on the lower right corner of the screen

try posting the information may help us identify if issue only happens during manual updates...

please also try the links below for information regarding mcafee updates:

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100390&lang=en_US&prior_tid=3&AnswerID=16777227&turl...

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100291&lang=en_US&prior_tid=95&AnswerID=16777217&tur...

hope this helps...
BobSunny
Former Member
Message 5 of 14

Hi, bua_ako!

Thanks very much for responding!!

I have it set so that I am notified that an update is available and then will either request that I be reminded later or will say ok and download the update immediately. I believe this is manual update.

Virus Scan Details you requested:

Version: 13.0
Build 13.0.232
AffID: %AffID%
Language: en-us
Language Pack: 13.0.218
Last Update: 1/4/2009
DAT Version: 5483.0000
DAT Creation Date: 1/3/2009
Engine Version: 5300.2777

I will check out the links you have provided and let you know if I am able to make any progress re: resolving problem.

Have a Great Day!!!!
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

will be awaiting for your progress... grin good luck!
BobSunny
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

Hello again, bua ako!

I have checked out the links you have provided and am sorry to report they did not resolve the problem. Details follow:

RE: McAfee Security updates appear to hang and McAfee applications are not able to update through authenticating Proxy servers causing Signature files to be out of date--I only had my MSN dial up service running (the connection speed said 28.8 Kbps)--no other applications were running. I then ran McAfee Update and the red arrow was rotating clockwise. I put my mouse over the rotating arrow and it said downloading McAfee Virus Scan. The percentage completion increased over time until 31% was reached at about 3 minutes into the download, then it was hanging. Then after 10 minutes of download time, I put my mouse over the rotating red arrow and could not believe my eyes--it said 3% completion!! I double checked and yes, it was only 3% completion. Going backwards!!???? Finally, after about 18 minutes into the download, the pop up said an error occurred while updating--please reinstall Security Center.

The above situation occurred AFTER I downloaded the MSCPRXFIX.EXE tool. I went to the web site and saved it to my desktop then double clicked it, ran it, then restarted per the instructions. If I read the file info correctly, it is a 125 KB program file. I do know that normally it takes my PC about 1 minute to download 150 KB, but downloading this tool only seemed to take a few seconds, which seemed odd.

Being a computer novice, I do not even know if I am going through an authenticating proxy server!!

Anyway, these are my objective observations re: above.

In the past, when I got this error warning, I would just un-install McAfee, use the MCPR removal tool, then download from the McAfee web site for Dell, but I feel I have done this too many times and we need to get at the root cause of the problem.

These problems seemed to develop after my PC was only about 14 months old (July 2008). Things seemed ok for a few months, then the problem resurfaced.

Any other suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

hi,

let me flag this thread and i'll ask for help... please stand by... hopefully we'd be able to get a more knowledgeable support... 😮
BobSunny
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

Hello, bua ako!!

I really appreciate your efforts!

Thanks again and looking forward to a reply from someone.

Have a Great Day!!
BobSunny
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Error Occurred While Updating--Please install Security Center

Hello!

If anyone is reading this, I wanted to let you know that I finally had to uninstall Security Center, use the MCPR tool, then re-download from McAfee web site for Dell, because about 7 days had elapsed and my computer was not fully protected according to the pop-up. I am wondering if I will have the same problem in another 7 days????

I have lost track of the number of times I have done this, but it seems to have been 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months. This is not normal is it?? Or is it?? As I stated previously, I used my computer for about 14 months without this problem occurring. I have not installed any new applications programs from CD--only downloaded Windows Updates and McAfee Updates from the Internet.

Not sure what is causing the problem.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, they would certainly be appreciated.

Needless to say, I would like to concentrate on using my computer to surf the internet.

Thanks!
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community