cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ron65
Former Member
Message 1 of 20

Dumb Question

This morning one of my computers upgraded automatically to V.S. 14 and Security Center Ver.10.0.  I have spent over an hour in the help files and can't find any way to make it sound and notify me if it updates to a new data file. I am running Windows XP on my computers. Is the alert notification no longer part of the Security Center? Or am I just missing something. I also did a manual scan and it never sounded the alert when it finished the scan. I have my computers set to sound a chime any time it is doing anything and with VS 13 I would get the chime and the little spining arrow down in the corner near the McAfee icon. I have checked every option that I can find and it is set to automatically update the data files, but so far it hasn't done that either. I am going to try updating it manually after while and see if it will do that, but I miss the pop up and sound notification when it is through doing a scan or update.

Thanks,

Ron

19 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 20

Re: Dumb Question

Not a dumb question at all.

Unfortunately sounds were omitted from this version.  We have already asked for a correction.   Not sure if it'll happen with this version or not.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/03/10 5:38:54 EDT PM
Ron65
Former Member
Message 3 of 20

Thanks Peter.  I thought maybe I was missing something in the hundreds of pages of the help files. Mine did the manual update ok yesterday afternoon, now I just hope that it will do the Automatic one. I will know if it does it as I said, since I have chimes set to chime anytime any program is doing anything in the background.

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 20

Good luck.

Ron65
Former Member
Message 5 of 20

Peter,

Ok, now I may have a problem as this new Security Center and VS 14 doesn't seem to automatically update. My other computer which thankfully still has VS 13 and that Security Center on it updated automatically a little while ago, so I know there is a new data file there. I have checked all of the update settings on VS 14 and they are ok. Also three times since this new set up downloaded when I shut my computer off it will start to shut down and lock up with an error message that it can't write to one address as a program, McAfee, is still using it. Yesterday I had to manually update the data files, but I am going to wait for a while today before I do that and see if it will do it automatically later on. And another question.  When I click on updates to see the settings and other thigs it will tell me the next updates time. After that time has passed and it doesn't update I will look again and it always seems the next update is about 15 to 20 minutes in the future. Am I reading this wrong or just what does it mean?

I really feel that this new Security Center and VS 14 has a few bugs in it from the way it is acting and I am hoping that my other computer won't download it and will stay with the older version.

Thanks,

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 20

Contact Technical Support Chat via the Useful Links at the top of this page.   I think they are better equipped to troubleshoot that issue.

Ron65
Former Member
Message 7 of 20

No help at all. First I was told there is no trouble with the new VS14 and when I told the person to read the Forums, I was asked what that is. Final solution was to uninstall it and re-install it which was a pain as it kept locking up with that  error,  The Instruction at"0x6280436a" referenced memory at "0x05ea12fc". The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate the program.

I finally managed to get the mess uninstalled andmy computer cleaned out and re-installed it, so I will see how it goes today but I am very pessismistic about any changes McAfee makes any more. I have use it for years, but am seriously considering looking at other virus programs as we just went through that mess with it setting the data files back a few days. McAfee is starting to remind me of Yahoo and their continual tinkering with the e-mail to make it prettier and then it takes 6 months to get it to work corrrectly. I just wish they would leave it alone when it works and keep the updates good. I don't even care for the new Interface screen.

I will see what happens today, but if it keeps locking up my computer and won't update then I am going to have to do something.

Thanks,

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 20

Sounds to me like Windows is corrupted or at least not up to date.  Are you in the practice of using registry cleaners by any chance?   They cause these sorts of problems and really are not worth the effort (& money).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 20

Sounds to me like Windows is corrupted or at least not up to date.  Do you use registry cleaners/optimizers?  If so stop right now.

When uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee did you use the cleanup (MCPR) tool?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 20

Sounds to me like Windows is corrupted or at least not up to date.  Do you use registry cleaners/optimizers?  If so stop right now.

When uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee did you use the cleanup (MCPR) tool?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community