cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
popups-be-gone
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Disable popups on McAfee AntiVirus Plus

I just got McAfee AntiVirus Plus because it was cheap and came with good reviews, but no one told me about these annoying desktop pop-ups. The thing wants to inform me whenever it updates the virus database. Can't it just do that in the background???

Now, everyone and their dog tells me to "Click on Navigation link in the right side of the McAfee window and then click on General Settings and Alerts under Settings."

Look, people, there is no Navigation link on the right side of the McAfee window:

mcaffe.PNG

The only thing I've got is a settings gear in the lower-left, with options for "Informational Alerts" and "Protection Alerts", and both boxes are already unchecked.

So what am I supposed to do here?

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Re: Disable popups on McAfee AntiVirus Plus

Those instructions were for the old interface. Look at the left side. It is one of the icons there the gear icon I think. Not on a PC ATM so cannot confirm.

popups-be-gone
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Yeah, I already tried that. It's in my original post:

"The only thing I've got is a settings gear in the lower-left, with options for "Informational Alerts" and "Protection Alerts", and both boxes are already unchecked."

I fiddled around with it as much as I could, but McAfee would not shut up with the random pop-ups, informing me (for instance) that it had just finished a scan and found nothing. Why would you interrupt me just to say "Everything is fine. Nothing is ruined"?? Why isn't there an option to turn off annoying popups?

On top of that, my printer stopped working as soon as McAfee got installed and it started working again now that I've uninstalled it. I'm gonna tell people to avoid McAfee in the future.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 7

That scan finished popup should not came as 1 of the informational alerts is to ask for Mcafee to tell you when it has finished a scan and if unselected should not say anything . Will deselect mine and see if it is a bug.

Re printer got 2 connected and 2  working fine.  Could be a port blocked issue maybe.

griffosan
Contributor III
Message 5 of 7

I am also experiencing the unwanted spam pop ups on my desktop. All my informational settings are off.

May I suggest concerned users like me post a screen shot of the pop ups as they occur along with a request to turn them off. Most unwanted behavior in paid software.

Please disable these intrusive pop ups.

McafeePopupAd11.JPG

griffosan
Contributor III
Message 6 of 7

More unwanted pop up spam this morning. Please turn these off.

McafeePopupAd13.JPG

griffosan
Contributor III
Message 7 of 7

More spam. Please turn off.

McafeePopupAd14.JPG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community