cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neil154
Former Member
Message 1 of 31

Deleting Registry Entries

I had a trial version of McAfee installed on my HP PC whn I got it this month.  I used the program and features to uninstall it.  I then used the McAfee removal kit.  Even after all that I still have McAfee entries in my registry which I cannot remove.  I tried manually to delete them (even tried Safe Mode) but when I try delting the entries I get error message that tey cannot be deleted.  I even tried changing the permissions but the changes could not be saved.

Please tell me how to get rif of the registry entries for McAfee.

30 Replies
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 31

Re: Deleting Registry Entries

can you tell us specifically what entries you are trying to remove?

neil154
Former Member
Message 3 of 31

The image below is just 1 example of the registry entry.  There are actaully many other entries that I cannot remove.

McAfee Registry Entree.png

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 31

hum - You posted in the Apple Mac group - I'll see if I can move your thread.

I am fairly sure this hive is maintained by the OS itself, so probably best to leave it well alone.

neil154
Former Member
Message 5 of 31

If you can tell me howto move it I would be happy to do it or maybe I should just start a new post in the right area.  As far as leaving it alone I eally don't want to do that when they are bobviously not needed.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 31

As I say, that part of the registry is controlled AFAIK by the OS - you can't edit it and removing them really does not do anything useful.

neil154
Former Member
Message 7 of 31

Somehow these registry keys were added by McAfee and I should be able to delete them.  Please tell me how rto delete rather than telling me just leave them.

PS:  I was told this was in posted in Apple Mac Mac Grouop but I don't see that so please point me to the PC group

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 31

I already moved the thread. I don't believe those keys were added by McAfee, I think the Windows installer adds them. I don't believe you can delete them, or that you should delete them, and can find nothing on the interent to indicate it's even possible to delete them, so unless someone else can help you, there is no solution.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 31

Hi neil154,

I presume its a Win 8.1 PC. Whether an attempt to install McAfee Central was made or was it Pre-installed on your PC. McAfee Central is the Metro version of McAfee Security Products.

You might try renaming the registry entry and try deleting it..!

neil154
Former Member
Message 10 of 31

Renaming was also not allowed and yes it is a 8.1 installation.

Since this is a McAfee registry key you would think somebody at McAfee would know how to delete it since they added it

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community