cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigJ
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Dat 5908

I am in Ohio and dat 5908 is on U.S. server but when manually updating keep either getting an error occurred or your programs are up to date. Been trying for a hour now. McAfee must have put a corrupted file on U.S. server.

Jerry

PS when it does start downloading the percentage stays at 0% for a few seconds then the error message shows.

11 Replies
BigJ
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

Re: Dat 5908

BigJ wrote:

I am in Ohio and dat 5908 is on U.S. server but when manually updating keep either getting an error occurred or your programs are up to date. Been trying for a hour now. McAfee must have put a corrupted file on U.S. server.

Jerry

PS when it does start downloading the percentage stays at 0% for a few seconds then the error message shows.

Either this is a corrupted file or McAfee is having server problem AGAIN! Index file shows 5908.0000 is on the server but most of the time now I get your programs are up to date. Anyone else check this out????

Jerry

BigJ
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

BigJ wrote:

BigJ wrote:

Jerry

Either this is a corrupted file or McAfee is having server problem AGAIN! Index file shows 5908.0000 is on the server but most of the time now I get your programs are up to date. Anyone else check this out????

Jerry

Well McAfee virtual technician just said no problems found and 5907 is expected dat so must be server problem as index file still shows 5908.0000 is on the U.S. server.

Jerry

snowman17
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

about 1:30 EST I also was trying to do a manual update and had the same problem as you.  At first the update check started downloading a new dat file but after a few seconds it failed.  I tried again and this time it indicated my programs were up to date.  Several more attempts gave me either your programs are up to date or an attempted download ending in failiure.  I also ran virtual technician and it indicated no problems found.

Around 1:44 EST time I tried running a manual update again and this time it downloaded and installed dat 5908.

So perhaps they fixed the problem on their end?

BigJ
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

snowman17 wrote:

about 1:30 EST I also was trying to do a manual update and had the same problem as you.  At first the update check started downloading a new dat file but after a few seconds it failed.  I tried again and this time it indicated my programs were up to date.  Several more attempts gave me either your programs are up to date or an attempted download ending in failiure.  I also ran virtual technician and it indicated no problems found.

Around 1:44 EST time I tried running a manual update again and this time it downloaded and installed dat 5908.

So perhaps they fixed the problem on their end?

Thanks for the reply but at 2:28pm est here in Ohio still most of the time says programs up to date and still at 5907. So server problem must be the issue again.

Jerry

BigJ
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Update at 2:32pm mine updated to 5908. Thanks for responding snowman17. McAfee still must be having server problems from time to time. Anyway I was finally updated and now can do other things.

Jerry

snowman17
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I am very glad to hear you finally had 5908 download and install.  I began to worry why I was able to get the download while you still were not.

whatever the problem was I am glad they fixed it for both our sakes.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

It isn't necessarily server problems.  DAT's that appear on the Enterprise product download pages are not necessarily always released immediately and can't be downloaded for home products from that page in any case, some are even withdrawn from time to time.  So just go with the flow, let McAfee update when it wants to.

BigJ
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Ex_Brit wrote:

It isn't necessarily server problems.  DAT's that appear on the Enterprise product download pages are not necessarily always released immediately and can't be downloaded for home products from that page in any case, some are even withdrawn from time to time.  So just go with the flow, let McAfee update when it wants to.

Well Peter I disagree and think it was a server problem as I know it was on my server when I checked for updates. Around 12:15pm tuesday afternoon the index file showed 5908 dat was on my server. So when I see that it is there it should be able to download shortly after that time. I do not check for updates if index file shows previous days dat. And yes this index file is for us home users.

Jerry

PS url below is what Brian from McAfee showed us to check what index file is on our servers:

Internal document removed

Second line from top shows what dat is on server. Of course you have to extract the index file first to see it. You have to double click on index file wherever you saved it on your computer.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/03/10 5:48:46 EST AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

I didn't say it wasn't a server problem.  Until such time as they return the ability to manually update the home product, which is on our ever-growing wish list, it isn't serving any purpose except to frustrate yourself by checking what is "available".

Brian from McAfee, whomever that is, has opened a can of worms allowing that out, so I have removed it as it is not supposed to be given to the general public, corporate customers, perhaps.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/03/10 6:43:09 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community