Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowman17
Contributor
Message 21 of 46

Re: DAT update problem?

Jump to solution

To MaineNightOwl and anyone else.

I had actually believed that what MoxieMama reported earlier that the resolution was at hand within 6 hours.

Well we are about 5 hours into that 6 hour time span and now to hear that there is nothing more they can do tonight is very very frustrating and it is raising my blood pressure.

I find it hard to believe that this is "normal".

Obviously the problem is on McAfees end and not with each and every subscriber around the world.  All I have been reading in this forum all day are people saying that they still cannot get the update to install fully.  How can McAfee ask an subscriber if the problem was resolved.  Shouldn't they know if it has been resolved.

What I want to know is how long before all of our Security Center on our computers stop saying "Yes, I am protected" and say "No, I am not"  What then?

What do we do then?  

I also need comforting words of wisdom.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 46

Jump to solution

Your photo is showing - see the attached thumbnail (click to enlarge).  I obliterated your email address.

No need to get upset because you are missing a daily update, it happens quite often.  As long as SecurityCenter says it is protecting your are fine.

Just be careful where you are surfing and what you download.

If it makes you feel any better we are all in the same boat.  I have 4 systems and 3 are not updating at present.  The one that did was a brand new installation done after the 5855 had been "released" so it installed with it already incorporated at source.

I would start worrying after a week but not before.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/10 6:55:06 EST PM
snowman17
Contributor
Message 23 of 46

Jump to solution

Peter,  You are a wonderful person.  I am very thankful you are on this community dispensing advice and knowledge.  I just called the phone number from the Mcafee support webpage.  When I finally got a person on the other end I simply asked if they were aware of the problem and if there was an estimated time for it to be resolved.  The first thing the person told me was they were not a tech person.  They did acknowledge they are aware of the problem and the techs are working on it.  They could not give any time frame for resolution(not "shortly" or in "6 hours")  Never the less, they did want to transfer me to a tech person for a charge of US$9.95  What would be the point in that?  If the problem is on their end what could they do for me.

The only thing that I do take comfort in, and please everyone do not take this the wrong way, is that this is seemingly happening to all subscribers world wide.  My biggest fear is that it is only me.  

One last question for today.  Peter, you say not worry unless this drags on for a week.  Have you ever seen it take that long and if so what was the outcome/solution?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 46

Jump to solution

I've never seen it drag on for more than 2 or 3 days at the most.   Regarding support...Customer Service only deal with account matters and they are the only ones you can reach by phone free of charge.  Technical Support can be reached through online Chat (or by phone for a fee).

Thanks for the kind words....just hang in there, it'll sort itself out soon I am sure.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/10 7:32:19 EST PM
BigJ
Former Member
Message 25 of 46

Jump to solution

Hi Peter still have not got the dat update here but to add to this problem my McAfee site advisor is greyed out now. Must have all kinds of server problems on McAfee's end.

Jerry

snowman17
Contributor
Message 26 of 46

Jump to solution

Peter,  I trust what you say and will hang in there.  It has to sort itself out because with all the millions of Mcafee subscribers world wide I cannot imagine we would all have to uninstall and reinstall to get this fixed.  That would just be beyond belief.  Have a good night.  I will check in again on Sunday.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 46

Jump to solution

My SiteAdvisor Plus is working OK.  Thanks for bearing with me guys and good luck.

gorf
Former Member
Message 28 of 46

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

Your photo is showing - see the attached thumbnail (click to enlarge).  I obliterated your email address.

No need to get upset because you are missing a daily update, it happens quite often.  As long as SecurityCenter says it is protecting your are fine.

Just be careful where you are surfing and what you download.

If it makes you feel any better we are all in the same boat.  I have 4 systems and 3 are not updating at present.  The one that did was a brand new installation done after the 5855 had been "released" so it installed with it already incorporated at source.

I would start worrying after a week but not before.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/10 6:55:06 EST PM

I think (getting slightly off topic) I think MaineNight Owl may be referring to his avatar, I can see his photo if I check out his profile but he has no avatar on my screen you can add / change photos / avatars here

http://community.mcafee.com/edit-profile-avatar!input.jspa

hope that helps. you could crop the photo to just your face or use whatever you like for an avatar. still no change with the DAT prob here in Perth Western Australia

BigJ
Former Member
Message 29 of 46

Jump to solution

Peter my siteadvisor plus is working ok now. Must have been  greyed out only a few minutes. Thanks for all your replies. Must keep you quite busy going through all these threads. Will just let automatic updates take over now until receive latest dat. My fingers are getting tired from manually trying to update. Thanks again for helping us.

Jerry

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 30 of 46

Jump to solution

Steve (et al):

Just got my inbound call from Tier 2 TS.

Short version:  They are "still working on it" "all over the world".

Advised to wait **another 24 hours** to see what happens.

Needless to say, at this point, I wouldn't take any specific promise about a time frame overly seriously.

Another 24 hours does seem like a long time to wait, but it's no cause for panic & there's not much else we can do.

The engineers are trying to resolve the issue (but it sure is frustrating!).

From what I can tell, the best advice for consumers now is to sit tight --

don't try to update every 2 minutes (there is no emergency & you will just raise your frustration level; besides, when the problem does get fixed, I suspect the update servers could get overloaded if everyone tries to update more or less at once), and

don't take the plunge on uninstalling/reinstalling your entire McAfee product yet (A. b/c it's not necessary, and B. b/c if you have problems doing so, you will just be among a whole new wave of customers seeking tech support from an already overloaded tech support system).

The agent promised to call me back in 24 hours with an "update on the update" <pun intended>.

<HEARTY ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR STEVE, WHO HAS BEEN BEARING THE BRUNT OF THIS FOR >24 HOURS!>

G'night,

MM

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community