Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
papilot312
Contributor
Message 1 of 46

DAT update problem?

Jump to solution

Any other users with an issue updating from DAT 5854 (dated 7th January 2010)? The updater checks for updates, recognizes a new update, and downloads, but then shortly after starting the install process it quits. I have a feeling this is a McAfee/DAT issue, but I'd like other users to check and let me know just to make sure. Everything else is OK and checked current through McAfee Virtual Technician.

Thanks,

Tim

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 46

Re: DAT update problem?

Jump to solution

There must be something wrong with the update or maybe the servers as the same thing is happening here.   It could be that they have cancelled that 5855 DAT for some reason.

View solution in original post

45 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 46

Jump to solution

There must be something wrong with the update or maybe the servers as the same thing is happening here.   It could be that they have cancelled that 5855 DAT for some reason.

papilot312
Contributor
Message 3 of 46

Jump to solution

OK, glad to know it's not just me! Thanks so much!

Tim

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 46

Jump to solution

You're welcome.

MaineNightOwl
Contributor
Message 5 of 46

Jump to solution

hello my name is Ralph and i'm in portland,maine usa and i'm encountering the same problem with the virus definition updater. i click update and it finds a new update available; the mcinsupd starts to install the new virus definition then totally quits and goes to next step without updating the daily virus definitions. is it a mcafee problem on there end  or a problem with my software mcafee security center on my computer ? any assistance and feedback would be appreciated.

Ralph

Message was edited by: MaineNightOwl on 1/8/10 4:01:53 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 46

Jump to solution

This usually happens when the update is withdrawn for whatever reason.  You would have to contact Technical Support Chat to have them check the finer details for you.  See McAfee Support at the top of this page.

papilot312
Contributor
Message 7 of 46

Jump to solution

From a nice chat and workup with a McAfee technician, I can tell you that there is a DAT issue and it'll be fixed shortly.

Tim

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 46

Jump to solution

Thanks Tim.

snowman17
Contributor
Message 9 of 46

Jump to solution

I have been experiencing the same problem all day,trying to get dat5855 installed.

Can someone please reply back when the problem is fixed.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 10 of 46

Jump to solution

Same thing here.

2 calls to tech support thus far unhelpful.

Short of reinstalling the entire suite, at least the 2nd agent DID escalate to Tier 2, but told me not to expect a call back for >24 hours while they "research" it.

Now that I see there are many folks having the same problem, I think I will wait to see what happens.

Either that, or try the solution suggested by Ex_Brit back in Mar 2009, which is to 1) reboot in safe mode, 2) manually delete the DAT file from the DAT folder (not delete the folder itself), 3) reboot, 4) update.

This certainly sounds reasonable, but I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

What a PAIN!!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community