cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowman17
Contributor
Message 21 of 33

Re: DAT file won't update

i also just ran the virtual technician.  it found my dat to be out of date and it attempted to fix it, but it didn't.  looking the problem log it says that I should have 5856 but have 5854.

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 22 of 33

snowman17 wrote"

and I am manually selecting the update option every few minutes doesn't 
it mean that 5855 is still out there.

You can make it easier on yourself, by allowing McAfee Security Center to download the updates, and prompt you when they are available.

1.  Open Security Center

2.  Click "Configure" (lower right, adjacent to "About")

3.  In the section "Automatic Updates are Enabled", click  the "On" radio button.

4.  Click "Advanced" within the same section.

5.  Click on "Download the updates automatically and notify me when they are ready to be installed"

I always run this way, and it saves checking for updates, while maintaining my control over the time of application.

snowman17
Contributor
Message 23 of 33

Sean,

I do have automatic updates turned on.  But I do not keep my computer on at all times.  Though I have had it on now for about an hour.  how often does it go out and look for updates.

Sean and MoxieMomma,  can you please advise when each of you get the 5856 DAT file?

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 24 of 33

Sean wrote: I always run this way, and it saves checking for updates, while maintaining my control over the time of application..

I do the same (with Windows/MS patches as well).

Otherwise, I might not have realized there was a problem with 5855.

That said, nothing seems to be "helping" at this point.

I'm sticking it out and not panicking, just planning ahead for the contingency of having to uninstall/reinstall.

(Over the years, at least w/ other security suites, this has always created NEW problems and has not always solved the OLD ones. So, I consider it a bit of a last ditch plan.)

MM

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 33

Very rarely a bad update has caused issues, but a missed update is common.    MoxieMomma - good luck.

snowman17
Contributor
Message 26 of 33

still no luck getting the update.

I still do not understand how you can "miss an update"  why is it missed, because of something on McAfees part(like 5855) or is it missed because of something the users computer.

what if I do not get 5856 installed on my computer.

I have had a problem once before several months ago and paid $9.95 to talk to a Mcafee tech who advised me to uninstall and reinstall.  it was a messy process and took several attempts before it worked.  We tried installing by downloading from the website and this did not work.  I ended up taking the CD I bought off the shelf a year earlier and reinstalling from that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 33

snowman17 wrote:

still no luck getting the update.

I still do not understand how you can "miss an update"  why is it missed, because of something on McAfees part(like 5855) or is it missed because of something the users computer.

what if I do not get 5856 installed on my computer.

I have had a problem once before several months ago and paid $9.95 to talk to a Mcafee tech who advised me to uninstall and reinstall.  it was a messy process and took several attempts before it worked.  We tried installing by downloading from the website and this did not work.  I ended up taking the CD I bought off the shelf a year earlier and reinstalling from that.

I wouldn't know why it happens, they never tell us that.  All I know is it happens and every time it happens everyone panics, needlessly.

There is no need to pay for support on this as it has happened many times before and always sorts itself out, usually withing 24 to 48 hours.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 28 of 33

Well, according to live chat, the engineers are "aware" of the problem and should have it resolved within 6 hours.  That was all they could say, and there was no offer to troublehoot beyond that.

So, we'll be twiddling our (frozen) thumbs down here in TX a while longer.

Thanks to Steve and Sean and the others for their assistance.

Gonna logout now for a while, since this resembles watching the proverbial pot for it to proverbially boil (or paint to dry, or grass to grow, or.....).

Back later,

MM

snowman17
Contributor
Message 29 of 33

well it is 2pm on the east coast and still stuck with dat 5854 and the continueing failiure of 5855 to install.

I have no idea what server I am on.  Is an individual user always on the same McAfee server each time their software searches for an update?  or do they end up on a different server each time.  Again, I have no technical knowledge and do not know how servers work.

MoxieMomma I am glad to hear the tech person you chatted with actually admitted that they are aware of the problem.  When I was on the chat room this same time yesterday they would not admit anything.  Of course last evening someone posted earlier in this or another thread that they were told that the problem was going to be resolved "shortly"  and that was almost 24 hours ago as well.

Hope the 6 hours is true.  Again  I would appreciate it if everyone reading this post would advise when they are finally able to get a new DAT down loaded.  I would do the same.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 33

I've known this sort of situation to last for 2 or 3 days, so if it's only 6 hours all the better.   Many of you may remember when VirusScan only updated once a week at one time.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community