Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 11 of 33

Re: DAT file won't update

Hi, Peter:

Still no luck here, unfortunately.

Just tried a manual update from the system tray icon -- "no go".

I guess it takes a while to push out the new versions everywhere to all subscribers, so I'll stick it out a while longer.

(Besides, I'm *supposed* to get a call back from Tier 2 later today, by "appointment".)

Now that 5856 has been pushed out, could I try your original workaround of safe mode reboot > manual removal of 5854 > reboot > update?

Or should I wait?

Alternatively.....

...Thinking ahead to "worst case scenario", I've already bookmarked and printed out the instructions for reinstalling McAfee and watched the video demo (though I haven't yet downloaded the removal tool).

Since this McAfee Security Center was OEM with my Dell system, I noted that your earlier post with instructions specified navigating to the Dell/McAfee web site to download the McAfee for reinstallation.  This raises a couple of questions:

1) I assume that downloading and installing from the website is preferable to reinstalling from the McAfee DISK that came with the computer 1 year ago (IOW, very old versions of the software)?

2) What is the difference between the OEM "Security Center" and the standalone McAfee Internet Security 2010 and McAfee Total Protection 2010?

3) Would my recently renewed McAfee subscription apply to either of these products (which I assume would have to be downloaded directly from the McAfee website through my McAfee acount), or must I reinstall "Security Center" as was provided OEM?

(Apologies for drifting a bit "off topic", and you may not be able to answer these specifically. I am just planning ahead, under the assumption that DAT 5856 ends up NOT installing properly and that the Tier 2 folks have no other solution but to reinstall McAfee. I can move the reinstall/subscription questions to another board/thread, if need be.)

Once again, thanks very much for your expertise and responsiveness,

MM

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 33

I would just wait until the auto update hits your area's servers and that should cure the situation.   As I said the update only just arrived here so it shouldn't be too long before it arrives everywhere else.  I'm on the US servers by the way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/10 12:24:37 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 33

MoxieMomma wrote:

Hi, Peter:

Still no luck here, unfortunately.

Just tried a manual update from the system tray icon -- "no go".

I guess it takes a while to push out the new versions everywhere to all subscribers, so I'll stick it out a while longer.

(Besides, I'm *supposed* to get a call back from Tier 2 later today, by "appointment".)

Now that 5856 has been pushed out, could I try your original workaround of safe mode reboot > manual removal of 5854 > reboot > update?

Or should I wait?

Alternatively.....

...Thinking ahead to "worst case scenario", I've already bookmarked and printed out the instructions for reinstalling McAfee and watched the video demo (though I haven't yet downloaded the removal tool).

Since this McAfee Security Center was OEM with my Dell system, I noted that your earlier post with instructions specified navigating to the Dell/McAfee web site to download the McAfee for reinstallation.  This raises a couple of questions:

1) I assume that downloading and installing from the website is preferable to reinstalling from the McAfee DISK that came with the computer 1 year ago (IOW, very old versions of the software)?   YES

2) What is the difference between the OEM "Security Center" and the standalone McAfee Internet Security 2010 and McAfee Total Protection 2010? Only usually the labelling but each provider tailors the utilities to suit them I believe, but honestly I don't know.

3) Would my recently renewed McAfee subscription apply to either of these products (which I assume would have to be downloaded directly from the McAfee website through my McAfee acount), or must I reinstall "Security Center" as was provided OEM?  You'd have to ask Customer Service about that as we can't deal with account issues here.

(Apologies for drifting a bit "off topic", and you may not be able to answer these specifically. I am just planning ahead, under the assumption that DAT 5856 ends up NOT installing properly and that the Tier 2 folks have no other solution but to reinstall McAfee. I can move the reinstall/subscription questions to another board/thread, if need be.)

Once again, thanks very much for your expertise and responsiveness,

MM

See the answers in red and above post.,

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 14 of 33

I have observed five (5) attempts at the almost-legendary "5855" update. (Observed, because I do not allow automatic application of updates, just the prompt and I determine the time of application).  The last one (~1227hrs EST) ran longer, and seemed to make a strong effort.  Alas, no success.

I will report back on any success.

One curious finding about these updates:  each has NOT put the usual, observable load on Windows during application.  That may or may not be "a good thing" ).

snowman17
Contributor
Message 15 of 33

I am on the east coast of the US.  So if you got the update why would I not get it.  Please excuse me I am new at all of this.  Unlike MoxieMomma I do not have much computer savy and fear I would not be able to do anything on my computer as you said you did.  I am panicking.  I spent a very lengthly time on a chat room yesterday before I knew to look in this community forum.  The McAfee tech I chatted with was not the least helpful.  They could not or would not tell me if others were experiencing the same problem as me.  They simply kept repeating that it is not unusual for a update to start installing and then fail.  as I said I am panicking now that I know you got the update.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 33

snowman17 wrote:

I am on the east coast of the US.  So if you got the update why would I not get it.  Please excuse me I am new at all of this.  Unlike MoxieMomma I do not have much computer savy and fear I would not be able to do anything on my computer as you said you did.  I am panicking.  I spent a very lengthly time on a chat room yesterday before I knew to look in this community forum.  The McAfee tech I chatted with was not the least helpful.  They could not or would not tell me if others were experiencing the same problem as me.  They simply kept repeating that it is not unusual for a update to start installing and then fail.  as I said I am panicking now that I know you got the update.

It'll happen, don't panic.  Failed updates are a fairly common occurence.  This one obviously was released to the servers and then yanked, too late.

I have observed five (5) attempts at the almost-legendary "5855" update. (Observed, because I do not allow automatic application of updates, just the prompt and I determine the time of application).  The last one (~1227hrs EST) ran longer, and seemed to make a strong effort.  Alas, no success.

I will report back on any success.

One curious finding about these updates:  each has NOT put the usual, observable load on Windows during application.  That may or may not be "a good thing"

Yes, obviously 5855 was corrupted or as stated above, yanked from the servers.  5856 should come in eventually.

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 17 of 33

snowman17 wrote:

I am panicking.

Rest easy, and do not panic.  I have been a McAfee customer for > 10 years, and unless your PC totally dies from a failed update, I would not worry.  It has happened before to me, and has ALWAYS been sorted straightaway.  The more serious problem(s) can occur when the daily update (DAT +/- other things) runs successfully, and THEN does not work .

snowman17
Contributor
Message 18 of 33

considering that I am still having no luck. and I am manually selecting the update option every few minutes doesn't it mean that 5855 is still out there.

is there more than one server that the dat is put out on?

like I said I am new at this and it just seems to me that if you got the update, myself and others should as well.  could it possibly take hours for me to get the 5856 file?

snowman17
Contributor
Message 19 of 33

can a PC die from a failed update?  or were you just joking.

I am sitting here and manually hitting the update option every 5 minutes and I am not getting the new DAT.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 20 of 33

Thanks, Peter.

I'll see what I can find out about Questions 2 and 3 (and to see what they have to say about the actual problem) - I'm in the queue for live chat as we speak (they seem to be rather BUSY!).

As for being "computer savvy", Snowman 17 is being too kind.

I'm just an old geezer who's learned a tiny bit over the years through trial and error (mostly error).

I have been burned so many times re: these security suites, that I'm always a bit squeamish about them...

Well, let's hope it doesn't rise to the need to uninstall/reinstall <crossing fingers and toes>.

Regards,

MM

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community