cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hopeless1
Former Member
Message 21 of 96

Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

Jump to solution

Hello out there....I got a manual update and it gave me dat 5863! previous reverted me to dat 5860

I have windows XP  service pack 3 if that makes any difference

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 1/16/10 3:59:07 PM GMT-05:00
BigJ
Former Member
Message 22 of 96

Jump to solution

hopeless1 wrote:

Hello out there....I got a manual update and it gave me dat 5863! previous reverted me to dat 5860

I have windows XP  service pack 3 if that makes any difference

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 1/16/10 3:59:07 PM GMT-05:00

Finally at 4:20pm here in Ohio I also was updated to 5863 then ran manual update again and said I was up to date. Hope it stays working correctly for a long time instead of having weekly problems.

Jerry

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 96

Jump to solution

I just got it too, lets hope that's that for today.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 24 of 96

Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862? (NOW 5863?!)

Jump to solution

Howdy, Peter (sorry to hear you're under the weather) et al:

Well, 5863 didn't "stick" for long, either.

Got the popup for an update a while ago, and when it installed, it was back to 5860.

I was able to manually update back to 5863, but who knows how long it will last.

I just off from a lengthy screen-share chat with Tier 2 TS (after an unrewarding chat session with Tier 1).

Bottom line (yet again): I finally persuaded the agent that the problem is real (of course, he had no idea of what was happening or that it was even happening at all).

He had no explanation (other than a "bad" DAT being yanked, even though this doesn't seem to be the same as happened last week with 5855).

He had no solution.

He said he would call back MONDAY after passing it along to the development team.

He was unaware of the issue, but I suggested that most home users who update "silently" and who don't monitor DAT file dates might not even know it's happening to them UNTIL enough time passes that they start getting the "system not protected" message.

IOW, nothing we didn't already know or surmise.  But perhaps this at least rattled the cage a bit to get someone higher on the food chain to take a look?

I sure hope so.

Because I will be researching other ISSs between now and Monday.

Annoyance factor aside, this isn't very good protection for our computers, and it's pretty unsatisfying that McAfee seems to be <ahem> not quite up to resolving it definitively.

Sigh.

Well, g'night to all,

MM

BigJ
Former Member
Message 25 of 96

Jump to solution

Well I just checked after reading Moxiemomma's last post and sure enough my automatic update put me back to the 1-13-10 5860 dat. So I manually updated to 5863 and it will stay there until I manually check Sunday night for the 5864 Sunday dat. I have turned off automatic updates until this problem is solved.

Jerry

MaineNightOwl
Contributor
Message 26 of 96

Jump to solution

Morning m

xie momma this is captain Ralph from portland,maine usa on EST i call myself because i was given a offical 1960 us navy peacoat and captains hat from a real former retired sea captain from the argentin navy in south america and have a photo of me posted on my mcafee home page.

anyhow; my point for writing to you is as soon as i saw your message posted on here as i'm a home user using security center bundled package version 9.15 i checked my virus definition and i'm still showing 5863.0000 1/16/2010. its holding stable on my end for now and i say for now. since yours has changed and reverted back to the old dat version i'm sure that the domino effect is probaly going to happen to me, and countless others again. what a pain in the ass. just thought i'd let you know i'm experiencing no problems yet as of 12:30 Am est. crosing my fingers and hoping for the best.

i too contacted mcafee the last time this happened and i gave them 100% access to my computer. the tier 2 and tier level 3 worked techs worked on my computer for approx 3 hours with numerous software programs that they have. i have to say whatever they did -did make my computer run like its brand new again so i do give them a little credit..lol

i hope you have a good outcome; try to stay calm, relax, and perhaps get away from the computer for a while and spend sometime being good to yourself, treat yourself to something good. this is just my personal suggestion to you only. take it or leave it.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 27 of 96

Jump to solution

Hi, Jerry:

Well, the only thing I can say is that it MIGHT help if more of us contact TS and open tickets on this.

I had a hard time convincing the guy I wasn't imagining all this (had to point him to the links here at the forums).

He said I was the first person he knew of... (yeah, right)

As I told him, folks who update silently and who don't monitor DAT files wouldn't know that they don't know that they have a problem UNTIL several days have elapsed (long enough for the "system not protected" stuff to start appearing).

If we could achieve some sort of "critical mass" contacting TS, it might help to get the attention of the development people.

Not panicking.  It's just not good protection for the $$ (of course, I recently -- reluctantly - renewed my subscription before all this started).

Looks like not much more to do for now, unless you wanna take the plunge with TS.  My suggestion: as soon as you get through on live chat, immediately ask for escalation to Tier 2 (Tier 1 is basically just customer service and they have NO idea about any of this, and cannot screen share).

Night,

MM

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 28 of 96

Jump to solution

Hi, Captain Ralph:

Well, it's been 5863 for a while now.

But I'm sure I'll be hearing the chime for a "new" "update" in a little while (too bad you don't know WHAT you're installing when you install -- if it told me "you have DAT 5860 ready for install" I'd know NOT to do it).

Sigh.

Night,

MM

BigJ
Former Member
Message 29 of 96

Jump to solution

MoxieMomma wrote:

Howdy, Peter (sorry to hear you're under the weather) et al:

Well, 5863 didn't "stick" for long, either.

Got the popup for an update a while ago, and when it installed, it was back to 5860.

I was able to manually update back to 5863, but who knows how long it will last.

I just off from a lengthy screen-share chat with Tier 2 TS (after an unrewarding chat session with Tier 1).

Bottom line (yet again): I finally persuaded the agent that the problem is real (of course, he had no idea of what was happening or that it was even happening at all).

He had no explanation (other than a "bad" DAT being yanked, even though this doesn't seem to be the same as happened last week with 5855).

He had no solution.

He said he would call back MONDAY after passing it along to the development team.

He was unaware of the issue, but I suggested that most home users who update "silently" and who don't monitor DAT file dates might not even know it's happening to them UNTIL enough time passes that they start getting the "system not protected" message.

IOW, nothing we didn't already know or surmise.  But perhaps this at least rattled the cage a bit to get someone higher on the food chain to take a look?

I sure hope so.

Because I will be researching other ISSs between now and Monday.

Annoyance factor aside, this isn't very good protection for our computers, and it's pretty unsatisfying that McAfee seems to be <ahem> not quite up to resolving it definitively.

Sigh.

Well, g'night to all,

MM

MoxieMomma I have had several chat sessions before with McAfee tech people and it is a joke as always they think it is always our problems {us home users}. They are a joke and a waste of time talking to them. This is McAfees problem and not our computers having problems.

Jerry

kaos23
Contributor
Message 30 of 96

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I had the same problem on 2 home pc's.  They were on dat 5863 but then reverted back to 5860.  Reading about "Operation Aurora" and the recommendations of being on at least dat 5862 to be protected, this does turn the situation into a "slight" concern.

Saying that, running McAfee Virtual Technician successfully fixed the issue on both occasions (you may need to restart the McAfee SecurityCenter) so would recommend trying that. 

Hope this helps

Message was edited by: kaos23 on 17/01/10 18:25:03 GMT+10:00
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community