cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 96

Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

Jump to solution

There is no point in trying to manually update, or do anything at all.   It will sort itself out in time.

Regarding 5863 appearing on the Enterprise website.,  That only means that 5863 is the next update in thr series and does not mean that it has been released to the servers for general distribution yet.

MaineNightOwl
Contributor
Message 12 of 96

Jump to solution

good afternoon from portland,maine usa; my bundled software package security center version 9.15.

my virus definitions have also reverted back to Dat 5860 . says last update 1/16.2010 Dat version 5860 dat creation date 1/13/2010 . when i try to do a manual update the mcupdmgr.exe runs along with the mcupdui.exe says security center is looking for updates . it doesn't find anything and simply quits; no pop-up like i usually get teling me my programs are up to date or anything. i tried configuring my mcafee security virus update definitons in all 4 different circles which includes manually updating virus definitions and same thing happens. starts, looks for updates, then both mcupdmgr.exe and mcupdui.exe disappear from my windows task manager without telling me anything. i'm assuming this is being caused by the same problem thats on mcafee's end.

virus scan definition update says: last update 1/16/2010 5860.0000

dat creation date 1/13/2010

engine version 5301. 4018

would someone on here be willing to get back to me with a reply please about this reverting back to old dat version i guess you could say.

thanks

Ralph

Message was edited by: MaineNightOwl on 1/16/10 1:57:16 PM EST

Message was edited by: MaineNightOwl on 1/16/10 2:13:07 PM EST
snowman17
Contributor
Message 13 of 96

Jump to solution

Problems again with the DAT file.  This morning when I went on my computer I had DAT 5862 installed on Friday afternoon.

I ran an manual update check and it came back that my programs were up to date.

Just after 1:30pm EST I again ran an update check manually and a downloaded started and then failed or stopped after several seconds.

No installation ran and no box appeared either telling me I was up to date or that a installation was complete.

I still have 5862 installed.  I ran MVT and it found a problem, namely that my DAT was out of date.  It finds 5862 on my computer but expected 5863.

Of course its fix didn't work and I still have 5862.

I have no experienced any backwards event to 5860 as others have.  So I guess I am lucky to have 5862.

I am not in a state of panic but am getting very fed up and annoyed with this.

I guess as long as my security center says that I am protected I am supposed to feel secure.

MaineNightOwl
Contributor
Message 14 of 96

Jump to solution

hello again from portland,maine usa i'm replying to your message snowman. my security center mcupdmgr.exe and mcupdui.exe run; look for updates, find no update to re-update me to 5862 and quits. both disappear from my windows task manager without telling me anything. i've tried all 4 ways to update my virus definitons dat back to 5862 which includes manually and it does same thing, quits, no pop-up or anything. my dat has reverted back to version 5860.0000 1/16/2010 , dat creation date: 1/13/2010, engine version:  5301. 4018 . friday and friday evening was fine i had 5862 on last update and for dat creation date up until the early morning hours when i guess this happened in my local area which is EST. i'm not liking this any better then everybody else on here. mcafee needs to get its shit together and fast.

Ralph

Message was edited by: MaineNightOwl on 1/16/10 2:23:11 PM EST
nickfrompittsbu
Former Member
Message 15 of 96

Jump to solution

Yeah I guess we are supposed to feel 'secure'.  I tried to get mine to go back to 5862 too.  The update circle appears then disappears.

Could it be a bug with regards to other software?  Like Windows?

Of COURSE McAfee can't be at fault since they always tell me as Microsoft for help when I have trouble with Virusscan!

I think it's time to start looking for a new Anti-Virus program!

Ron65
Former Member
Message 16 of 96

Jump to solution

Ok, I have mine set to do the updates automatically and I have had it skip an update in the past, but never go backwards like this. This time it took so long I thought they were updating my security center. When I checked as I stated above it had reverted back to 5860 which was originally installed on 1-13 I believe. Now since mine is and has been doing the updates automatically that means that it thought there was a new update available which would tend to make me think that it saw 5863 which is why I asked if that update could be messed up. Now I won't use my other computer as I don't want it messed up too. I didn't bother to run the MVT tool as I know it is going to say my Data File is out of date. My Security Center shows it is operating and that everything is ok. I believe that the last mess was on a weekend also. And I know that once in a while there aregoing to be some bad data files, but this is to often and this one is something more than just a minor glitch to make it revert all the way back to 5860.

Peter I know this is not your problem but it is getting a little annoying having to wonder every day now if McAfee is going to update and work ok or not. I am not in a panic, but am kind of tired of the wait and it will straighten itself out line. This is just happening to often lately.

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 96

Jump to solution

I have already stated that there is no need to panic and that it is most likely a problem with the servers so who is blaming someone else?  Not I.

Ron65
Former Member
Message 18 of 96

Jump to solution

Peter,

I have no doubt that it is a problem with the servers and I am not pointing fingers at anyone posting here. Also I am not in any panic, just annoyed that this is happening so often lately. I know enough to not bother to call McAfee as all they will do is give me a run around and finally wind up with the wait and it will straighten itself out line. They should give you a number that you can call them on when something like this happens as it is hard to feel secure when your data file is three days behind. However I will not be able to use my other computer until this is straightened out as I don't want it to be set back.

As I stated before, this has happened in the past and it would update automatically the next day, usually skipping the bad data file number. But to make it revert back three days is more than just a minor thing to many.

Have a great day.

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 96

Jump to solution

I agree, it's happening far too frequently for my liking, but I'm sure they are trying to fix whatever it is.

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 20 of 96

Jump to solution

I see I am again getting an update. I see it is back to 5860. Could it be possible that McAfee is trying to let us know that there is a problem with dat 5862? No doubt this is not the way to do it, but just a thought. I scanned dat 5862 via custom and full scans last night and no viruses were detected.

So I'm now back at dat 5860 like everyone else.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community