cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcblawdog
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

DAT 5859 saga

My laptop's been offline since yesterday afternoon. I discovered the instructions for downloading and installing the DAT Fix-it and followed those directions. I have some minor improvements to my computer, but I can't get online, can't update McAfee, etc. Security Center wants me to turn on "real time scanning," but I can't, of course.

All of these various posts and strings are a bit confusing; I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be trying something else, or "hanging" tight for an hour or so?!

Maybe a central folder of community can be created for this ridiculous state of events?

I'll keep checking this community for updates. Thanks.

8 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: DAT 5859 saga

Hi,

Please try to restart the computer and start tapping F8 key,
From the windows advanced boot options menu select safe mode with networking – And check whether you are able to access internet ?

If you are still unable to get online,  uninstall mcafee programs from control panel and then check the status.

Regards,
Dinesh K

dcblawdog
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Can't access internet in safe mode. Do I delete McAfee programs in safe mode or reboot and delete in normal mode?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

You can still uninstall the programs in safe mode.

1. Uninstall the programs from control panel

2 . Browse to C:/program  files & common files and delete the mcafee folders

Then try to access internet and update us on the status.

Regards,

Dinesh K

dcblawdog
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Can't access after uninstall, but I didn't reboot as prompted, either. Do you want me to reboot and try to access?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Sure, by rebooting, all files and folders related to mcafee gets removed completely , by which we could determine whether if its caused by mcafee or any issues related to your internet connectivity . And even after restarting, if you are unable to get online , please get in touch with your internet service provider and check with your internet settings.

Regards,

Dinesh K

dcblawdog
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Still no connection, and I find it troubling and disappointing that McAfee, or it's argents, suggests passing along a problem it created to an ISP.

big-w
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

This is sooo frustrating.  My desktop is at the point where the only thing it will do is to continually reboot.  I cannot get into SAFE mode--that choice results in a reboot, Last Known Good Config., etc., My ONLY options at present are to choose where I want the PC to boot from first, and setup.

How will McAfee fix this?????

-Wes

dcblawdog
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

It seems my 8011 wireless LAN card has been fried. I'm no computer expert, and it seems strange that the bad DAT file could have fried it, but it's equally strange to say it's just a coincidence.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community