cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nixter933
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Computer shuts down during scan

My computer repeatedly shuts down everytime I try to run a full scan. Any suggestions?

11 Replies
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 12

Re: Computer shuts down during scan

I've moved your post to our Virus and Spyware Protection area. Hopefully an expert can help you soon.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Hi nixter933,

Please provide us with the following details to proceed further on this ;

Open security center and let know whether it says Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure ? (This is to find out what version is installed in the machine)Do you receive any spyware pop ups in the computer ?

Do we have any other security software installed in the machine ?

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

fledgling
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

SecurityCenter

Version 9:15

Build 9:15:17

Last Udate 4/12/010

VirusScan

Version13.15

Build 13.15.117

Las Update 5*22*2010

Dat Versio 5990.0000

Dat creation date 5/22/2010

engine version 5400.1158

Additional
Webroot

All products provided via msn

Computer shuts down during complete/full virus scan before 1/4 through scan

Please advise fix.

Thanks

Message was edited by: fledgling on 5/22/10 2:03:50 PM CDT
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Hi, Fledgling:

Just another user here (no computer expert), but I notice that you have both McAfee AND Webroot software on your machine?

From my own personal experience over the years (including my current Win7 laptop), I can tell you that Webroot software is NOTORIOUS for not playing well with other security products.

Even more than most other "brands".

While I cannot be sure what exactly your problem may be, I can respectfully suggest that you will probably need to fully uninstall either McAfee or Webroot, since they are probably conflicting on some level.

Both companies provide removal tools (link to the McAfee tool is above, under "useful links").

For Webroot, their specific instructions are to run the cleanup tool TWICE, rebooting and redownloading it each time (since it is designed to uninstall itself each time it runs).

FWIW, one of the few reasons I have stuck with McAfee (at least for now, while my systems are still running their OEM "2009" Dell versions) is that it seems to run smoothly alongside both MBAM (Active Protection enabled) and SuperAntiSpyware (Free version, on-demand scans only).  I have no issues with my current Win7 (x64) desktop or my backup Vista (x86) system.

That said, I need to repeat my disclaimer that I'm just a self-taught home user, not an expert.

So, one of the volunteer or McAfee mods or other pros will likely be able to provide more definitive assistance.

Hope you get fixed up,

MM

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 12

Second that Webroot and Mcafee do not play well together

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Hi ,

the following is the removal tool link for webroot u can try this ,else  try  to use  webroot removal tool from their site.

http://support-uk.webroot.com/cgi-bin/webroot_uk.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_adp.php?p_tbl=9&p_id=1677&p.... Also try to run the mcafee virtual technician ( go to mvt.mcafee.com and u can install the latest version of mcafee virtual technician and then run it which will scan  mcafee for any kind of mcafee issues and it will also try fixing some of the issues with mcafee ) .

if possible  try to note down the  scan location or the path before the system shuts down .

Message was edited by: kumaravel on 5/23/10 9:16:21 AM CDT
XAriesDF
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Sorry to interrupt.

As of this morning I just can not shut down my Dell Laptop (inspiron 6400). It simply won´t turn off. It keeps restarting it self!!! I need help. Badly!

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 12

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

If  you beleive you have some malware or virus issues the above link will  assist in resolving those. After following the recommendations in the  link you could also try running www.malwarebytes.org and www.superantispyware.com both of which are free and can remove a lot of stuff. may I suggest you  download these programs to a usb stick and rename the download files  and installation folder to something you can easily remember as virus  and malware are written to protect themselves. When you rename the  files, they may not see them as a threat thus allowing you to proceed.  After installation check for the lates updates and run the program and  let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer. Go to the next  program and do the same and reboot.

You  should then try to uninstall mcAfee via Add/Remove programs and reboot,  run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful  Links and reboot again. Run the McAfee preinstall tool, reboot, and then  login to your online McAfee account and install the software.

Let us know if this works for you.

Helenl
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Have installed McAfee Antivirus Plus but computer shows "McAfee Security Center Your computer is at risk". No other antivirus protection installed. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community