Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wumizle
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Computer not protected

Hi,
my McAfee Security Centre has a red cross and is telling me my computer is not protected. I press the fix icon and it says "one or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error".

i've tried updating, scanning the whole system and unistalling and re-installing McAfee Service Centre and still it tells me my computer not protected and it can't fix the problem because of an error.

it says my Computer & Files and Email & IM need action and lists:

- Real time scanning is disabled
- Spyware and potentially unwanted program scanning is disabled
- IM Scanning is disabled
- Script scanning is disable
- Buffer overflow protection is disabled

Before i reinstalled i checked my detection log and it said i had a trojan called
Spy-Agent.bw!mem that was effecting C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe and C:\WINDOWS\system32\twext.exe both of which stated: termination failed while two other files were quarantined and one deleted.

but when i scan now nothing is detected yet it still says i'm unprotected.

My computer info:

Dell Latitude D630
Intel Core Duo

Microsoft Window XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

McAfee Security Centre Info:

SecurityCentre
Version: 9.3
Build: 9.3.137
AffId: 0
Language:en-gb
Language Pack: 9.3.106
Last Update: 03/04/2009

VirusScan
Hi,
my McAfee Security Centre has a red cross and is telling me my computer is not protected. I press the fix icon and it says "one or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error".

i've tried updating, scanning the whole system and unistalling and re-installing McAfee Service Centre and still it tells me my computer not protected and it can't fix the problem because of an error.

it says my Computer & Files and Email & IM need action and lists:

- Real time scanning is disabled
- Spyware and potentially unwanted program scanning is disabled
- IM Scanning is disabled
- Script scanning is disable
- Buffer overflow protection is disabled

My computer info:

Dell Latitude D630
Intel Core Duo

Microsoft Window XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

McAfee Security Centre Info:

SecurityCentre
Version: 9.3
Build: 9.3.137
Language:en-gb
Language Pack: 9.3.106

VirusScan
Version:
Build: 13.3.117
Language: en-gb
Language Pack: 13.3.113
DAT Version: 5573.0000
DAT Creation Date: 03/04/2009
Engine Version: 5301.4018

Personal Firewall
Version: 10.3
Build: 10.3.106
Language Pack: 10.3.102

Site Advisor
Version: 2.8
Build: 2.8.304
Last Update: 4/3/2009

Please Help!!
11 Replies
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

RE: Computer not protected

Well, I'm not sure and I hate to give wrong advice.

It looks like you're infected or have been infected and that McAfee has been unable to fully clean/remove. To me, that seems to be the most probable explanation.

You need to be careful with malware that affects stuff like winlogin.exe, if something like that were removed you probably couldn't login anymore !

You can use free SAS and MBAM to scan for malware, or temporarily disable McAfee protection while using an online scan by Kaspersky or some other antivirus. But especially since that winlogin.exe issue, I'm not sure. You can also try a chat with TECH support, or try the virtual technician.

Regardless of any malware being present, your McAfee installation, possibly your OS, is probably corrupted. The SAFEST thing to do is to back up any data before trying to solve this problem.

You can uninstall McAfee (using the MCPR tools plus instructions, somewhere on this forum), and reinstall it again. Even if it seems to be OK after that, the safest course is to reformat your harddrive(s), and reinstall your OS plus the rest. Just be sure you know how to do that before you begin. Once you have been infected, you can never be sure that your system is clean, even after the best removal attempts.

Btw, there is no need to post twice happy
wumizle
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

i didn't know i had posted twice, it was accidental.

i ran MVT and it diagnosed that i had 2 issues:
a Process was incorrect and a Service was incorrect under the VirusScan everything else was fine.

under diagnostic log:

under Process:
Expected process not running
expected: running
existing: not running
c:\programfiles\mcafee\virusscan\McShield.exe

and under service
expected service state incorrect
expected: running
existing: stopped
c:\PROGA~1\McAfee\mcshield.exe

my Session ID: 17075487

how do i resolve this?
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Not in an easy way.

It basically says that the real-time protection of McAfee is not (fully) running.

Of course, I can't check your session ID, technical support (chat, or some McAfee staff on the forum) can.

For my best advice, see my previous post.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Do you have any other security software installed? What operating system and service pack are you using also which version of Internet Explorer (go to Help/About)?

McAfee Security Center relies on Internet Explorer to function properly.

If you are running Internet Explorer 7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK and exit, re-open IE and re-enable all the add-ons under Tools/Manage Add-ons.

IE6 - Tools/Internet Options..
General tab: clear cookies, history and temporary files
Security tab: set all zones to default
Content tab: disable Content Advisor
Advanced tab: set to default. OK and exit.

Make sure you are totally clean of trojans by running the free version of both these tools and let them clean everything they find:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If you still can't fix Security Center then do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site NOT from any CD that you may have.
wumizle
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

hey

i ran malware and they found quarantined 14 files!

here is the log
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.35
Database version: 1939
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

04/04/2009 16:24:57
mbam-log-2009-04-04 (16-24-57).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 264591
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 4
Registry Data Items Infected: 5
Folders Infected: 2
Files Infected: 11

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

they quarantined the files. are they gonna be cleaned or am i to delete the files they have quarintined? i can't; seem to run the SUPERAntiSpyware one. i double click it and it doesn't run. What do i do next?

p.s.
window xp pro
sp3
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

RE: hey

Delete the quarantined files and run it again.

Then try the SuperAntispyware one again.
wumizle
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

sucess!!!

i rebooted my comp and ran the malware again it found a further 8 files, after rebooting again i ran the SuperAntiSpyware and it found 58 FILES!!
after i deleted all of those my McAfee turned green!
i don't understand why my security centre couldn't handle those trojans.

thank u for all ur help!!!

p.s
for future reference:
1: How did i get infected with those viruses/trojans...wateva when i have anti-virus software?
2: how do i avoid this problem in the future
happy
Fierose
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

RE: sucess!!!

To avoid the Problem into Future: Password Protect the Virusscan.

I forgot to protect him too after new installation. So the trojan can start his aktivity.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

RE: sucess!!!

There is no facility to password protect VirusScan Home Edition. Just be careful what you click on, import, download and careful what emails you open.

Keep those anti-spyware tools onbaord and updated for future use.

No anti-virus engine can defend against everything unfortunately.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community