cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karenbb
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Computer not Protected after Installing

Hi there.....on 3/27 I bought mcafee av software....on 3/28 it was due to expire. I downloaded on 3/27 mcafee av (which took 5 hours, I quess that is normal) On 3/28 I got billed for 2 years which they promptly refunded. ( I didn't realize that they automatically charge you, which is nice, but I didn't know)

The question is....I keep getting pop ups saying it's time to renew and I have an x on my mcafee icon. So, I am not protected eeks! When I go to my mcafee account there are two boxes with dates and a download button in each. Do you think I downloaded the expired one and not the other one? (the one that is up to date and paid for?)

And if I click on the correct button, will it uninstall the expired software and replace with the good one?

signed, blonde and confused 🙂
tia
11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

RE: Computer not Protected after Installing

Try clicking the Fix button and see what happens. It may be that you have remnants of the old mixed up with the new and I'm afraid the only solution is to uninstall, do a cleanup and then reinstall. For that I would recommend enabling Windows Firewall temporarily.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.
Karenbb
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I clicked the fix button and it just brings me to the pay for your subscription page on the macfee site.

When I downloaded the software on the 27th...it said that it was removing the old mcafee from my computer before loading the new software.....

Don't you think I can still do this (pressing the correct up to date download button) without having to go through all the steps you outlined for me? I really am not computer savvy and would probably screw it up what you all mentioned for me to do..

and thank you ex brit!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 12

I suggest enabling Windows Firewall first as a safety net.

It appears that the old versions weren't fully removed.

Do the steps in post #2. It's easy. You can omit the searching for files part 3 if you feel it's too complicated.
Karenbb
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Ex Brit...how do I enable windows firewall?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall.

There is always Help and Support built into any Windows to ask things like this instead of waiting for me to wake up.

or see these links...

How to Enable Windows Firewall In Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673
How to Enable Windows Firewall In Windows Vista: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/bfe523a9-7eec-4d3f-add1-2f68b9cfa1c01033.mspx
Karenbb
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

oh....sorry, I forgot you needed the beauty rest 😉

thanks ex brit!...I will do all of this and come back with the thumbs up (hopefully)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

I'm not too sure about the beauty part of it, in fact I'm positive that you can leave that part out of the equation...LOL

Anyway, good luck.
Karenbb
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Ex Brit.... feel so stupid! I am at this part now....

Download the removal tool from:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Click Save and save the file to a folder on your computer.
Navigate to the folder where the file was saved.
Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.
Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool.

What folder do I save this in? desktop or ???

helpie!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

Desktop where you can delete it easily if necessary. No point in keeping it as it is updated pretty frequently.

Don't feel stupid, we all have our dumb moments. I just spent 30 minutes troubleshooting my printer only to find the USB plug had fallen out the back....LOL.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community