Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cweidlich20
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Computer crashes everytime scan is runned

Jump to solution

I can't get through a entire scan without my computer crashing. I've never had any issue with any other anti-virus, but Mcafee always gives me problems. Do you have any ideas why this happening??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 13

Re: Computer crashes everytime scan is runned

Jump to solution

Two thoughts maybe 3.

1. Do you have or had another scanner installed on your PC before Mcafee or still? They need to be removed by their own removal tool.

2. Try running the MVT program (Mcafee Virtual tech) to see if it detects any issues with your install.

3. Try a removal reinstall path as mentioned here

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

After that call support explain what you have already done and see what they can suggest. If no help ask for an escalation call back.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

Two thoughts maybe 3.

1. Do you have or had another scanner installed on your PC before Mcafee or still? They need to be removed by their own removal tool.

2. Try running the MVT program (Mcafee Virtual tech) to see if it detects any issues with your install.

3. Try a removal reinstall path as mentioned here

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

After that call support explain what you have already done and see what they can suggest. If no help ask for an escalation call back.

cweidlich20
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks...i'll try those ideas

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

Another thing is to start programs and command prompt and run it.

1. Open the command prompt with administrative privileges by typing cmd in the search box in the Start Menu and right-click cmd.exe in the search results and then select Run as Administrator.

2. Type chkdsk followed by one or a combination of switches listed below in the command prompt.

If you run the check disk (chkdsk) command from the command prompt by typing just chkdsk check disk will run in read only mode. All it does is check for errors. It will not fix any errors it finds unless told to do so. This is done by adding switches when typing chkdsk in the command prompt.

A switch looks something like chkdsk /F. Notice the switch /F after the chkdsk command.

Below is a list of most of the switches used with the check disk command. You can use one or a combination of switches with the check disk command.

😧 If you want check disk to scan a drive other than the C: drive, add the drive letter after chkdsk to tell it to scan that drive. If the drive is called X: on your computer it would look like chkdsk X:.

/F: The /F switch is the most common of the chkdsk switches. It tells chkdsk to fix any errors it finds. Chkdsk can’t fix errors on a disk that has open files. If chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots or dismount the drive choose to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots. Never choose to dismount the drive. That option should only be used by a professional.

/R: The /R switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that can’t hold saved data anymore.

/I: The /I switch tells chkdsk to perform a less detailed but faster disk check.

/C: The /C switch tells chkdsk to skip the checking of cycles within a folder structure which reduces the scan time. Don’t ask me what this means.

An example of an exhaustive disk check using the command line interface is:

chkdsk 😧 /F /R

The check disk command shown above will fix any errors it finds and also attempt to recover bad sectors of the 😧 drive if any are found.

cweidlich20
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

Sorry that it's been awhile since I've last repiled. I'm now able to get to 95% completed before it crashes. It crashes on the same file dll.  I don't know if that means anything but thats the same spot it crashes.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Is it physically crashing or simply sticking at that point?

If the latter then this may help:  TS102052

It was published after this thread started.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/07/14 8:15:43 EDT PM
cweidlich20
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

The computer completey crashes at that point.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

and what is the file name and folder? Did you try the uninstall run mcpreinstall then reinstall path as well as I mentioned in my 1st post?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

If the computer always crashes when the scan reaches one particular DLL file, what is the file name?

One thing you should do is to find that file using Windows Explorer and do a right-click scan of just that file. It may be that the displayed file name is not actually the file that's causing the system crash.

A repeatable system crash when scanning reaches a certain point may imply that it's not the file to blame, but the disk itself. I advise you to run chkdsk and allow it to do a full file system check and a surface scan (see post #3).

Also, you don't say if the crash is a Blue Screen crash. If it is, there will be error messages displayed, and you need to make a note of what they say. A BSOD will create a dump file, and that can be analysed for more information. You don't say what the OS is, or what version; more recent Windows versions have built-in crash diagnostics but if yours is an older version you can get the crash info by running Nirsoft's BlueScreenView.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 20/07/14 04:40:22 IST
cweidlich20
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

I tried all the steps over again and I was able to get through a complete scan at least 5 times without the computer crashing. I'm all good to go now. Thanks for all your help!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community