cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kspfl
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Computer At Risk - Won't Update

I have McAfee Total Protection and am getting the message My Computer is at Risk. When select check for updates, it goes to the page and nothing happens.

Security Center v 11.6

Buld 11.6.443

Last Update: 12/26/2012

VirusScan v. 15.6

Build 15.6.238

Last Update: 1/24/2013

DAT version 6965

I was going to uninstall and reinstall but when I go to the useful links page, the MCPR tool is not found and from what I've read I need to run that first.

I don't know how long my computer is at risk or even if anything else is really working.

Anyway, I need help so I can be sure my computer is protected.

Thanks.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Computer At Risk - Won't Update

Uninstall via Control Panel

Then run MCPR:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe (I found it OK where you couldn't by the way)

Reboot and reinstall from your online account.

\Make sure your operating system is up to date, including Internet Explorer and its add-ons, even if it's not your default browser.  McAfee uses it regardless of your settings.

Also never run Registry Cleaners or Optimizers as they often cause this sort of thing.

kspfl
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, Peter, I'll try that.

Here's what I get when I try to access MCPR via Useful Links:

.mcafee.com">McAfee.com Home

The Document ID you entered was not recognized in our system. Please type the Document ID again, and make sure to use the correct prefix.

• Technical Support documents use the prefix TS. For example, TS100376. To search for a specific document, navigate using the link at the top of the page. Click FAQs and Search on the left, and then click Proceed to Search.

• Customer Service documents use the prefix CS. For example, CS40021. To search for a specific document, navigate using the link at the top of the page, then click FAQs and Search on the left.

Also, I don't run Registry Cleaners or Optimizers, so I know it's not related to that. I did have issues with Comcast for some time and my connection and connection speed. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not.

Thanks again.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

That's odd, because it works fine for me.   Maybe it's a bad cookie.  Try running a scan with Stinger and/or Malwarebytes Free, both linked in the last link in my signature below, just as a precaution.

kspfl
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, I'll try the scan. Meanwhile the uninstall and reinstall went smoothly and everything seems to be working as it should now.

Well, I just tried the MCPR link above again out of curiosity and it works correctly now. Very strange.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Good, let's hope the software cooperates fro now on in.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community