cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_149796
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Can't update latest Dat 5437

Hello, I have a pc with XP Home Ver 2002 with sp3 and can't update. Virus scan keeps trying to update but never gets it. The mvt says I am at Dat 5425 and need Dat 5437.It says it fixes it but it really doesn't.
The pc is a second one I use at my river cabin. It uses an Earthlink dial up but I have it at my house plugged into my router with my other pc running Vista with McAfee and connecting with dsl. No problems on the home pc. I use no other malware, spyware or other programs with either pc.
In the past I have been able to get it updated with mvt. A week or so ago I uninstalled McAfee with the tool and reinstalled and it seemed all was ok. At that time I went from 12 to 13.

Any ideas?
8 Replies
bwb1
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

RE: Can't update latest Dat 5437

Oh, this seems all horribly familiar!!
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

You can't really trust that 'fix'.

And the mtv program changes once in a while.

Well, I'm at DAT 5438 !

I'm not sure what's going on, your system could be corrupted, or it could be a server issue. In the former case, a complete uninstall (using special instructions elsewhere on this forum) followed by a reinstall should work.

OR: I'm not sure, but certain companies like Dell tend to be behind in upgrading to the new 2009 series (Virusscan 13). Maybe Earthlink has the same issue ? I don't know if I understand your situation correctly, but if you were to install version 13 at home and then tried to use an Earthlink connection I could imagine you not getting any DAT updates. Although it SHOULDN'T be a problem, I could imagine it might. You can usually log into your McAfee account by email address and password, do you have one login account/email address or two ?

You can try cleaning your browser history and temporary files, logging in again, and then give it another try.

Anyway, your DAT definitions are hopelessly out of date, and if you can't get this fixed you'd better get different security software.

EDIT: the most current McAfee engine is the 5300, sometimes an older engine (like 5200?) won't properly update your DAT. That happened to me once.
user_149796
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for those ideas Riddlez. This pc I'm on now , Dell, Vista with McAfee updated today to the DAT 5438 I noticed. In fact McAfee has worked great on it so far.
I originaly brought the river pc home to do the XP SP3 upgrade as it may take forever on the 56k. Thats when I noticed the virus update and went with the ver 13 download on it.
You may have something on the Earthlink connection though. I'm going to go online with it here with the 56k and see if it likes it. If it doesn't I think I will browse the Earthlink forums for maybe compatability problems with them and McAfee.
I have 2 McAfee accounts, one for each pc under under 2 different emails.
Another question, I googled DAT 5437 and there are sites that say you can download the DAT 5437 and SUPER DAT which I think updates the engine too. Are there any benefits to trying that? Or can they be trusted and would you have to do that everytime McAfee updates the files?

Thanks
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

You can't download DAT's in that manner for the home products I'm afraid. They only apply to the Enterprise (Corporate) products.

Have you tried contacting Technical Support Chat from that machine and have them check it out?
user_149796
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Thanks Ex Brit, I thought that would be too easy. I will try some things today before I get in touch with them.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

The only other thing that I can suggest, assuming that everything else on the machine can access the internet OK, is to do a complete uninstall and cleanup, even run the cleaning tool twice. Also make sure that you have no other protection installed that has an active protection component turned on.
McAfee basically seeks the internet connection as per Internet Explorer's settings.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.

If you are McAfee direct customer, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx and log in to download your McAfee products.

If you received your McAfee products from your service provider, please use the list below to download your software.

Comcast users should go to http://security.comcast.net/ and log in to download your software.

DELL users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105 and log in to download your software.

Gateway users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=370 and log in to download your software.

eMachines users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=365 and log in to download your software.

MSN users should go to http://membercenter.msn.com/ and log in to download your software.

AOL users should go to http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter and log in to download your software.
user_149796
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Wow, thanks Ex_Brit for all of the info. I will try it today. Before I have not went in and removed left over files and folders after running the tool so I will try that and post back later.
Thanks again..
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

That files removal is just an added precaution, often there aren't any to remove, so don't worry if that's the case.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community