Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phantom2390
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Can't remove Android/Ransom.SLocker

Hello All,

I am an Android user who is subscribed to McAfee through T-Mobile. The other day I suspected that my phone was infected with malware because of strange behavior. I was playing a game and logged off. I later attempted to log back in, and it crashed. I opened a ticket with support for the game and tried opening it on my tablet instead. It worked fine on my tablet. I tried reinstalling, but no luck. After that, I gave up and started browsing the web. I noticed that mail, the default app for mail on Samsung Galaxy Note 9, kept crashing. This was strange because I use the Outlook app for mail. I decided it was fishy and ran a scan using McAfee. Mcafee ran a full scan and noticed an issue:

High Threat risk

About This File

Type: Non-removable file
Pathname: /storage/6330-6431/Download/download
Created: 23 Feb 2016

About This Threat

Your file contains Android/Ransom.SLocker, which is malware. it can:
-incur premium charges
-Damage or encrypt files for ransom
-Monitor your device and observe your activities
-Take advantage of vulnerabilities to access and use your data.
-Send junk messages or emails from your device.
-Direct you to a fake website to get your account information.
-Result in excessive battery/bandwidth drainage.

I attempted to remove this using remove all; however, McAfee returns the message:

Can't remove threat /storage/6330-6431/Download/download

I found the following PSA:

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/google-fix-gmail-chrome-crash-android-system-webview-issue-update...

Apparently, a recent Google update could be the cause of the frequent crashes. I tried following the instructions and updating the web view, and the issue causing the apps to crash seemed to have stopped, but the virus is still there. I'm not sure what the virus is doing at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply
Help_Everyone
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: Can't remove Android/Ransom.SLocker

It was all over the internet

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community