cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmcmahon1
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Can't Scan Using Virus Scan

I have Virus Scan Plus Build 13.3.117. I cannot initiate a scan of my computer, nor can I establish a schedule for scans to occur. When I check the days I wish the scans to occur, the "Apply" button does not activate. When I click on OK, then exit and return, none of the scheduled days that I had selected are checked. I cannot run restore to get access to and delete quarantined files. I have run the Registry Fix, Reset my IE Advanced Options, removed and reinstalled Virus Scan Plus and run MCPR.exe. Nothing has changed. I used the on-line chat help, and I was instructed to go to Safe Mode and run Virus Scan. Virus Scan will not run in Safe Mode. It says it will not due to an error. The Security Center says the computer is not protected, but when the Fix button is activated, it cannot fix the issue due to an unspecified error. Does any of this sound familiar? I have scanned the computer using the Microsoft Malicious Software Tool and have found no issues. I can only think there may be a conflict somewhere, but I just don't know where
8 Replies
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

RE: Can't Scan Using Virus Scan

please run the mcafee virutal technican in my signature and kindly post the session ID...

double check if you have other security software that may be conflicting with mcafee... if you have other antivirus programs... try uninstalling them see if it makes any difference...
mmcmahon1
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I ran Virtual Technicial. It said some problems could not be fixed, but the Results window was blank. The Session ID was 17112358. I did have Panda ActiceScan installed, but uninstalled it. I then reinstalled Virus Scan, but the issues persist. I did find that if I go to My Computer, I can right click on a Drive or file and select scan to perform a scan, but that is the only way I can inititate a manual scan. I also found that the default scan time of 4AM Friday does work, as there were scan results that morning. But I can't add to or alter that default schedule. Any ideas?
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

hi,

looking at the result of the MVT i think it's best that you uninstall and reinstall your mcafee product... when doing an uninstall i would recommend that you run first the mcafee removal tool... then go through the installation through us.mcafee.com.

by the way what is the operating system of your computer and its service pack?

also what is the version of your Internet explorer?
mmcmahon1
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

'Can't Scan Using Virus Scan

I uninstalled and reinstalled VirusScan. In between operations, I also ran MCPR.exe. (This is the 3rd time I've done that). Same issues persist. Can't manually run a scan other that to right click a file and select Scan, can't run Restore (get error pop-up msg), etc.

I run Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600.

Internet Explorer is Version 7.0.5730.13, Build 75730

Mike
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

RE: 'Can't Scan Using Virus Scan

please try running the patch below... see if it works...

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/IERegFix.bat

by the way, do you have other security softwares installed in the computer?
mmcmahon1
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I've run that Registry Fix in the past. I ran it again now, but still no change. It seems that the scan default is set for Friday at 4AM, and there is no longer a means to establish a differend schedule, or to do a manual scan. It also bothers me that the Restore function aborts due to an error. Makes me wonder if something has purposely disabled that functionality

The only other security software I run is Windows Defender. But in the past, Virus Scan ran fine next to Windows Defender

EDIT: There is a thread I just saw in the Virus Scan 13 section titled "Clicking on 'Scan' opens 'Protection Status' instead". This is my problem, but reading the instructions, I am not sure how to execute what the poster is suggesting. Can you helP?
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

4. if one or all scripts are missing you'll have to recreate them; if permissions are incorrect they'll need to be reset. i'm not an expert with this so i would suggest you try contacting your manufacturer or microsoft

hope this helps...

NOTE: you can try uninstalling IE7 to go back to IE6, then try running IEREGFIX or IEFIX again... link for IEFIX is found in this thread. make sure that you have uninstalled IE7 before running the tool.

http://community.mcafee.com/showpost.php?p=546627&postcount=2
afml
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

Can't use virus "scan"

Did work.
Till now.....

Can't use virus "scan".
When I click on "scan", it defaults to the "Protection Status" page.
No "scan" begins nor is the page for it activated.

ALSO the "HELP" feature will not open and gives the following "can not open" warning:

Cannot open the file:mk:@MSITStore:C:PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSCV\1033\Help\mcafee.chm.

Today I get the message:

"An error occured and you must restart McAfee Backup and Restore"

but when I try to do so, the same message appears.

BTW: I see VirusScan 11, 12, 13 listed on the Forum. How can I tell which version I have??

Many thanks in advance for your time!

Wes
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community