cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wxscan
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Can't Install VirusScan Plus 2009 3-User

When attempting to install McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 3-User version, it says I need to remove Spybot - Search & Destroy. I uninstalled Spybot using the Control Panel, deleted its folder in Program Files, and deleted its folder in Application Data. I also ran CCleaner and restarted the computer several times but McAfee still says I need to remove Spybot. I don't know what else to do. I'm trying to install from a box version but I used the recommenced setting of downloading the most current version of McAfee online.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you!
5 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

RE: Can't Install VirusScan Plus 2009 3-User

Hi,

Kindly click on the below link and perform the steps to uninstall the spybot search and destroy.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Restart the computer
Try to download the Mcafee products
wxscan
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thank you.

I followed the instructions on that page and McAfee still says I need to remove Spybot. I also tried reinstalling Spybot and removing it again but that did not help. I also removed the Spybot entries from the registry. After several restarts, McAfee still asks me to remove Spybot and it will not continue to install.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit hit the Enter key.
Go to:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/UNINSTALL

Find any Spybot or Safer-Networking key, delete this key, close the Registry Editor and try the installation again.

Be careful to only delete those keys.
wxscan
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

It worked!

Peter,

I can't thank you enough. I deleted that registry key and McAfee's installation continued right away. After installation it never prompted me to register and my account said I was expired. When I right clicked on the McAfee tray icon and clicked on Product Setup, nothing happened. So I searched the forum and found this topic: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=226700&highlight=register

Now everything is working and my account has the correct expiration date. You can move this to the solved board if you would like.

Thank you again!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Glad you are OK now.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community