cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barneywray
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Can scheduled virus scan be a "full scan"?

I recently installed and configured McAfee Total Protection for scheduled scans.  After the first scan, no threats were found.  The report identified the scan as a "quick" scan.  I then ran a full scan manually, and multiple viruses were ID'ed.  So can I schedule the full scan type?  It seems more robust. I have not found a way to do this yet.

Thanks - Barney

5 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can scheduled virus scan be a "full scan"?

What version of Mcafee  do you have?

barneywray
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi - The Virus Scan is 14.0.

Jubo
Contributor III
Message 4 of 6

Does this article anser your question: schedule automatic scans

Message was edited by: Jubo on 2/18/10 11:06:21 AM PST
user_135799
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I read the interactions, mcafee scheduled scan can be scheduled but could not be configured for quick scan, full scan or custom scan. As a default mcafee always runs a full scan on schudule. Also I accept your argument that when you performed the full scan the infected detected are not been detected in mcafee scheduled scan. I have an answer for it. Mcafee has a special feature call DAT which is the virus definition file which gets updated now and then which you see under the virus scan. When you check that periodically it keeps changing, so as the case like during the scheduled the scan it might not have got updated to pick-up the infections, but when you run the ful scan the updates might have installed and taken effect, so it picked up the viruses.

So that is the explanation for your querry. For any other informations, revert back to us.

WITH REGARDS

YOGA

Fender30
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

I am sorry, but I must take issue with your response.

You stated that "As a default mcafee always runs a full scan on schedule...".  This is somewhat misleading, as a default condition implies that there are options for determining what the target criteria would be.  As far as I can tell with the current 2010 Total Protection package... the ONLY option is a full scan.  The option to limit the target for a scheduled scan seems to be lacking.  This is a terrible issue, if you have a lot of network devices.  As soon as the scheduled scan starts, it will attempt to run a FULL scan which looks at every device that the client computer has available to it.  If you run McAfee on several computers at the same time, this is not only wasteful and unnecessary... but it locks up the network with the bandwidth demands and runs the scan for longer than necessary... possibly for days.

In a previous post that I read... a technician answered a similar post by a user in that the customer could not use the scheduled scan feature since it ALWAYS performs a full scan.  In that response, the technician demonstrated a gross understanding of the way the product works, or gross insensitivity to the user's problem by simply marking the problem solved.

We need to have the ability in the home versions of the product to specify the default actions and the default targets for a scheduled scan (just like you do with the enterprise versions of your product).

In forcing us to always perform a full scan, I can't run ANY scheduled scans.  I have 3 networked computers with over 6 terabytes of files, most of which are archived long-term storage (or duplicates in another network drive). Since I run McAfee on all of my machines, any scheduled scan would try to investigate every file on every machine in the network.  I simply don't have the bandwidth to do this in the real world. Please bring back the ability to limit the target for scheduled scans.

It seems that McAfee is trying to produce a home-user product that fits the needs of everyone with a typical corporate once-size-fits-all mentallity.  This just doesn't work for most cases.  A few of your customers are actually clever enough to weigh the consequences and limit the scan criteria so that it can perform useful work.  I come from an environment that uses the enterprise version of the McAfee products where you can specifiy every detail of the configuration.  The bland made-for-home-users version is a pale imitation of what it needs to be by comparison.  Since I have to run manual scans to limit the target files which will be investigated by the scan engine, this dramatically reduces the value and usefulness of this product.  Frankly, I assumed this feature would be present as it is in the other versions...   So understandably, I feel somewhat cheated to discover this only at the end of a long installation when attempting to configure the product for ongoing use.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community