cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jadeka
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Can I run a scan in standby on a xp machine?

I want to run a full scan in the middle of the night when no one is using the machine (XP Home) but I want to leave the machine in Standby to save power.  Is there a way to do it?

6 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can I run a scan in standby on a xp machine?

There is no way that I know of that you could accomplish this in Standby mode to save power. The computer obviously needs to be on for the scan to occur at the designated time and you can choose whatever time you want the scan to occur. I have mine set to scan Friday morning at 4:00 am

Tom K3TG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Officially no there is not any way of doing that but one customer made up a tutorial that may work for you, however it has to be VirusScan v16.8 or higher and having XP limits how high you can go with McAfee versions, so I would check what version of VirusScan you have onboard before even attempting it.  (Open SecurityCenter and then click About).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

The original post is here: 

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I dunno, if this is XP it might work. Depends on how the power settings are configured, if hibernate is disabled or set for a very long time but standby is enabled ... yes, it might work. Everything's still in memory in Standby, the system clock is working, and if there's something's scheduled for a certain time then it might be sufficient to issue a wakeup call to the system. There's only one to find out and that's to set up a test. Add something in Scheduled Tasks for say an hour ahead - something that will be immediately visible so you know when it starts - then go into Standby and wait.

I might try this later myself.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

I was just putting it out there as I personally have never tried it.    Good luck 😉

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

This is a question that's been asked before, and it seems I was on the right track with the Scheduled Task approach. Have a look at this reply to an old thread about waking XP to do a scan. Try it and see if it works -

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community