cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex314
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Can I expect a response after sending a file from quarantaine to McAfee Labs?

Recently I sent a file from the quarantaine to McAfee since there seems to be no other way to get it marked as safe. Until now (I did this several times in the past also) I never got any response. What else can I do to get the file back and working on my pc?

Please Help!

11 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can I expect a response after sending a file from quarantaine to McAfee Labs?

I will assume you have referred to step number 3 in this document concerning the submission of your file(s) They usually turn things around fairly quickly.

Alex314
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Re: Can I expect a response after sending a file from quarantaine to McAfee Labs?

Yes I did. So I did on earlier occasions. I never got a response, however.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 12

If you submitted it from within the SecurityCenter's Quarantine folder using 'Send to McAfee', no there will be no response.

If you emailed them then there should be an auto-response within 24 hours and a manual one within a few days, however I have heard that they are severely backlogged at the moment, so it's possible that responses are delayed.

That's assuming you followed the instructions for zipping and password-protecting the file if sent the email method and used the address virus_research@avertlabs.com ..

Alex314
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

That makes it clear! Thank you both Tom and Peter for answering me.

But why would McAfee have the option of sending a file from the quarantine if they do nothing with it? Or at least do not send you an answer?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

They do act on it, they just don't respond because of the way it is sent, they have no idea whose email address it came from.  The response would simply be included in a DAT update no doubt.

That 'Send to McAfee' often doesn't work anyway for many people including myself as the method used to send it, outside the normal email channels, is frowned on by an increasing number of ISP's who like their normal channels of communication to be used, hence they block it.    It's in the midst of being revamped apparently, so it will work for all.

We are on their backs regarding the slowness or even absence of responses to the normal submission channels.  That certainly shouldn't be happening and they are aware of our concerns, believe me.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/03/11 7:38:30 EDT AM
Alex314
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Peter,

I tried to execute step 3 as Tom suggested using "Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting", but first of all I cannot find a place to make a (free) account, and secondly I only see "Virus removal" as a paid service. That isn't much help to me.

Message was edited by: Alex314 on 3/26/11 7:17:19 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

You can register at Webimmune, just don't fill in the bits that don't apply:  https://www.webimmune.net/registration.asp  I joined there years ago and don't use Business/Enterprise products or you can simply use the email option for submission.

I did a little help thing here on submitting files:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Alex314
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Thanks again.

I sent an email only.

In my opinion the user of McAfee AV products should have the option to decide for himself if a file should be trusted or not, or am I swearing now?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

LOL no you aren't swearing....you are right.  It used to be part of the Consumer/Home product until around VirusScan version 7 and still is part of VirusScan Enterprise.  In fact the 2011 version which is slowly being released to everyone as we speak, allows file exceptions to be made in the manual and scheduled scan settings, but not yet in the Real Time Scanner, something we are fighting for.

It may be a while before it reaches everyone so try to be patient. 😉

You'll know when it's updated to that version, it will say 'Restart Required'.

The only trouble with file exceptions is that many, gamers especially, would rather keep a malicious file rather than spoil their experience, so McAfee decided to restrict that ability.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community