cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scthom
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

CPU runs at 100% during virus scan

Lately my CPU runs at 100% when virus scan is running.   Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

I am running Windows 7 and McAfee Security Center Special Edition from AOL version 12.8 last updated 11/8/2014.

7 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: CPU runs at 100% during virus scan

Moved to Virus and Spyware Protection > Virusscan > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

McAfee relies on an up to date Internet Explorer, regardless of your default browser settings, and an Internet connection for function so make sure that Windows 7 is SP1 and totally up to date with IE11.

100% usage can indicate many things, among them infection, too many emails stored in your Email Inbox which are always continually scanned, disk read errors, to name but a few.    Have you had any indication of other abnormalities?

Also do you have any other security software installed?

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 8

Try running MVT the virtual technician from MVT

Also reset Internet explorer to defaults and retry

Another possibility is the install could be corrupted and you need to uninstall resintall the product

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft

scthom
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Windows 7 is up to date and so is Internet Explorer.  When virus scan finishes running it says that no viruses or malware was found.  Also should mention the CPU only runs at 100% when doing a scheduled virus scan, if I select scan now and do a full scan the CPU runs normally.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Try Peacekeeper's suggestions.   They may help.

scthom
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Have run MVT several time and it tells me there are no issues.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Then Technical Support is your best bet, it's free by phone or online chat and linked here:  Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community