cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_151231
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Blank Page During Install

So I seem to be having the same issue that a lot of other people are having. I was running the free trial of Virus Scan 2009 and it expired today. I bought the full version and when I tried to install it I got the window that showed a 'Gathering Information' message for a second and then went to a white screen that seemed to be constantly reloading or whatever it was doing. So I've spent the morning on these forums trying to find a solution, even spent 30 mins. with live chat trying to fix it with no luck.

I have tried this:

Click on start
Type CMD
Right click CMD.exe and select runas administrator
press continue
type and hit enter for each of the command

REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL
RESVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL

I got 'success' messages for both it it still won't install.

I have run a couple different programs to remove all McAfee software from my PC that the guy from the live chat sent to me and completely uninstalled McAffe and it still will not install.

So does anyone else have any new ideas? I have no virus protection right now and I'm quite frustrated. 😞

Oh yeah, my operating system: Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, Dell, 64 bit
Let me know if you need more...
9 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

RE: Blank Page During Install

Hi,
Please clarify,
Did you receive any kind of alert/advertisements or pop-ups in the computer?
What is the version of IE you use (IE 7 or IE 8)?
Check if you are using proxy connection for the internet (Open internet Explorer-click tools-internet option-click on connection tab- click on LAN setting- make sure use proxy connection is unchecked)
Steps:
Ping the Downlaod.mcafee.com and post the IP address you get (Start-Run-type CMD- ping download.mcafee.com)
Reset the Internet Explorer setting (internet Explorer-click tools-internet option-click on Advance and Click on Reset
user_151231
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

RE: Blank Page During Install

Hi Bala, Thanks for relpying! 🙂

OK

I didn't get any pop ups or anything. I'm just trying to install VirusScan 2009 because my trial version has expired.

I have IE8 installed on here I guess, but I don't use it, I use Firefox 3.

I'm not using a proxy connection.

"Ping the Downlaod.mcafee.com and post the IP address you get (Start-Run-type CMD- ping download.mcafee.com)"
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Sorry. 😛

And I did reset the Internet Explorer Settings, but again, I don't use that browser. happy
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Hi Mrs. Hoff

What Bala is asking you to do is:

Click on your Start Menu, then on the Start Search Box, Type the word COMMAND, then after typing it, right above it will appear the COMMAND PROMPT icon, right click on that and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Then, the COMMAND PROMPT window will come up, that is where you will type: ping download.mcafee.com

After that, get the reply(IP Address) and post it here,,:)

Also, try running the McAfee PreInstall Tool..

Then, try downloading mcafee again..
user_151231
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

RE: Hi Mrs. Hoff

And I ran the PreInstall tool this morning with no luck. But I just tried it again and now when I download Mcafee and try to run the DMSetup.exe file it tells me the directory name isn't valid...

*update*
Ok so I just restarted my computer and I'm not getting the 'directory name isn't valid' error anymore but I'm still having the same problem. Won't install, blank page constantly refreshing. blah blah
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

You said you don't use Internet Explorer. Whether or not you use it it actually has everything to do with McAfee. It's important that you do not have IE8 beta installed as that causes blank McAfee pages. IE7 and IE8 final version is OK. It's also important that IE is set to its default settings.
user_151231
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Ok! Well the version of IE I have came with the computer when I bought it a couple of months ago. I wouldn't be opposed to deleting it entirely but it doesn't show up on my list of programs when I look in the Add/Remove Programs section. So what do you suggest?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

You can't delete it as it's an integral part of the system. If it is the latest version, IE8 (final) then it is safer than any other browser you are using, so not sure why you dislike it so much.

However you can easily call it up by going to Start/All programs/Internet Explorer then clicking Help/About.

I trust that this system, whatever it is, is totally up to date, with both critical and non-critical updates. Even if you don't use something, it's essential that it is kept up to date.
user_151231
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Um... ok... I'm sorry but I really don't understand how your comments are helping me solve my problem.

I use Firefox because that is the browser that I prefer, and what does my preference in browser have anything to do with this anyway? And of course my system is up to date. I take the security of my computer very seriously. If I didn't why would I be trying to install McAfee in the first place? :confused:

This is all so strange to me. Can I install McAfee on my system or not? At this point I'm about ready to just call it a wash and go find myself some other Virus software as this is almost more headache than it's worth.

And that's another strange thing. Why would a company as prominent as McAfee release a program that is not compatible with current software? Especially software that is as integral to Windows as IE. Makes me wonder why I am giving them my money at all.

So really there is only one question here. Can I install McAfee on my current system? If not then just come out and say that. If I can then how do I set my computer so that it will install?

Really, I'm not trying to be rude, but I am very frustrated because I have no virus protection right now and it makes me very nervous to be using my computer when it's not fully protected. Any help to get this working for me is greatly appreciated. happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

I can understand your frustration. McAfee like many other applications, relies on Internet Explorer to function correctly as it is, in fact, an Internet Explorer page, albeit internal. It also relies on IE for internet connection, updating etc. Whether or not you use IE or have it set as default is irrelevant.

Your original header said you were getting blank pages and my answer was that usually is caused by IE8 beta or by IE settings other than default, plus having its Content Advisor turned on (for instance) (Tools/Internet Options/Content).

So all I'm trying to say is make sure that you don't have a beta version of IE installed and whatever version you do have, make sure it's the latest.

You can contact Technical Support Chat directly if you want. It's free and available 24/7 via the link at top left of this page or in my signature.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community