cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wardjfb
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

BSD when running scan and in standby

I have Total Security installed and virtually every time I run a scan I get a BSD after several hours. iI have also noticed it occasionally when i try to get the machine to wake up from standby. This has only happened since i upgraded McAfee. I ran the virtual technician yesterday and it fixed some problems but couldn't fix others. I have just had another BSD 88% through a scan.

Can anyone please advise.

many thanks

Jonathan

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: BSD when running scan and in standby

What's your operating system and service pack?   Has your computer had any other symptoms?   Have you been running any registry cleaners lately?

The usual cure for something like this, assuming there are no bugs or hardware problems, is to uninstall in the normal manner via Control Panel, then run the MCPR removal tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and then reinstall from your online account.

wardjfb
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I am running Windows XP SP3. I did re-install the other day because of another problem, although so far as I can recall MCPR had some errors but i cannot recall the details. is it also recommended to run the Mcpreinstall tool?

I am happy to give this a go. What should i do if MCPR has problems. I don't like being unprotected for long, although I suppose I could run the Windows firewall while I am tryign to sort the problem.

Thanks

Jonathan

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Uninstalling McAfee should automatically start Windows Firewall, however best to be sure I suppose.   You can run McPreinstall sure, all it does it make sure the browser is all set to receive McAfee.

There have been some issues reported with BSOD's and XP SP3 so it might in your best interests to open a case with Technical Support linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.   Telephone support is now free, along with online chat which has always been free.

wardjfb
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thank you I will do that before doing anything else.

Jonathan

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

OK, good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community