cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ron65
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Automatic Update Not Working

I have two computers, both running Virus Scan Version 13.15. About five days ago one of the computers quit automatically updating. I have checked the settings and they are the same in both computers and the other one updates as soon as I log on in the morning. This one was doing it also until about 5 days ago and it quit. It will update manually ok and I have ran scans and checked for malware but can't find anything.

Any suggestions about what else to look for? I haven't tried uninstalling the program and re-installing it as it works ok except for the automatic updates. McAfee Virtual Tech Tool tells me everything is good.

Thanks,

Ron
10 Replies
Jubo
Contributor III
Message 2 of 11

Re: Automatic Update Not Working

Sorry for the late reply, but if you still have this issue then you could try to uninstall it through Windows "Control Panel" first and then use their uninstall program, see: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products ...

Then just donwload and reinstall it from your online account.

Hope it helps...

lmcanete
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

hey ron,

The only thing that I can think of that could be the source of your problem is that the Product Update settings were changed without your knowledge. Like you said, everything else works fine and can run the update manually so I think it's major problem.

I know this is going to be a pain ...but try to put your CSI hat and cross check each settings (again ...never hurts to go back and re-check the one's that you may have missed).

Also, I would assume both of your computers would have licenses for each Virusscan installed right ? That could be another thing to check ... depending on the product package you got ...you have to supply a license key for each installation.

Hope this helps.

larry

Ron65
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Larry,

I have a subscription for three computers but just use two. I have uninstalled and  re-installed from my account and am still having the same problem. I have checked and re-checked the options until I am sure they are ok. I also printed out what was set on the other computer and compared it to this one and they are the same. And once in a while this one will update automatically. Yesterday it updated automatically after the other one did. Today I had to do it manually. I have ran all kinds of scans and there is no Trojans, malware, or other nefarious things on this computer as I don't go to many sites, just a few car sites that I have belonged to and am moderator or administrator on a couple of.

I had a devil of a time finding what used to be the Forum page and had to change my password to log in. I hope this willwork for me now. Thanks for your advise and I hope that somehow I can figure out why this computer is so intermittant in its automatyic updating. It was great until they upgraded the security suite, but it did it on the other computer also.

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

Updates occur at any time & some days not at all, although that is rare, so have you tried waiting for a few days just to see what happens?

Check your update setting bu doiung the following:

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center

Click Advanced Menu (bootom)

Click Configure (left)

Click SecurityCenter (top left)

Click Advanced (top right under protection status)

Click Update Options (left) and try altering them, click Apprly and OK

Wait and see if any difference.  It may take a couple of days to see the result.

Ron65
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Peter,

I have tried all of your suggestions and I know that they don't update every day, but my other computer never misses a day when they do have the new data files ready. And this one will do it once in a while.

Any other suggestions as to what could have caused this to start. It is not a major problem as I can do it manually, I just don't want to forget some time and not do it.

Thanks,

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Ron65 wrote:

Peter,

I have tried all of your suggestions and I know that they don't update every day, but my other computer never misses a day when they do have the new data files ready. And this one will do it once in a while.

Any other suggestions as to what could have caused this to start. It is not a major problem as I can do it manually, I just don't want to forget some time and not do it.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

It's difficult to pinpoint why this would suddenly start (or should I say stop?).   I do know for a fact that SecurityCenter relies on an up to date Internet Explorer set to default settings, regardless of your default browser.  So try thiis:

In IE (which I hope is IE8) go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced

Click Reset, then Apply and OK  (OK any Windows prompts that may occur).

Close and reopen IE

Go to Tools/Manage Add-ons

Re-enable the add-ons, apply and ok.

See if that helps.

Also check your system clock for accuracy both time and timezone-wise.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/8/09 8:13 AM
Ron65
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions but I have already tried that and also checked the IE settings with the  ones in my other computer that works ok. All the same. I guess I will keep trying things and see if I can stumble onto something. What really makes it confusing is that some days it will update automatically. It would be much easier if it wouldn't do that.

Ron

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Try Technical Support Chat.  At least they can escalate the case if necessary.

Sorry but I'm out of ideas.

Ron65
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Peter,

Thanks for the help. I will wait a day or so and see what happes.

Ron

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community